Carbon cleaner for ar 15 bolt ?

soak

I generally fill a coffe can with Hoppe's and soak it overnite, ususally wipes right off.

There is also a nifty new tool, name I cannot recall, intended for cleaning the carrier.

Try applying frog lube it actually repels carbon and dirt and the warmer the area you are cleaning the better it is.
You simply de grease it with the solvent that is in the kit and apply two to the solvents one of them feels like a real wet wax. Once complete you can go out on a range day come back and wipe the carbon and dirty right off.
The coat usually lasts for three our four range days....I use it on all my firearms.

New product out called Fire Clean.. I applied it to my Kimber Pro Carry to see how it works... Reviews show after firing an AR15 it just needs to be lightly wiped down... Haven't tested it yet

I tried soaking in Hoppe's for a half hour and used a scotch brite scrubbing pad and could not get all the carbon off the bolt. Maybe I need to soak it longer ? I also looked at the Otis bone cleaner at the gun shop and the gun took a bolt and carrier out of a brand new AR to show me how to use it. It seemed to me the tool was kind of loose in the bolt carrier, I mean not really snug enough to clean it good so I passed on that tool.
Bought a bottle of Mpro 7 gun cleaner and it did a better job that the Hoppe's did after soaking for the same amount of time. I was able to scrub off the carbon that was left behind from the Hoppe's.
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

I tried soaking in Hoppe's for a half hour and used a scotch brite scrubbing pad and could not get all the carbon off the bolt. Maybe I need to soak it longer ?
How often do you clean your gun?

I clean mine after every outing, and never had any problems with carbon.

I haven't had any carbon related problems with the gun functioning, but I like to clean the carbon off the bolt and bolt carrier. I do my best to clean it after every range trip but once in a while it doesn't work our because of other obligations etc and tight time frame. In that case I clean it the next day. I do always wipe it down with a silicone cloth every time.

Most of my AR's it has not been a huge issue. A little elbow grease and some Hoppes and they are clean.

Now my 300 Black out carbine Ar15. Thats a whole other kettle of fish.
I primarily shoot a supersonic 155gr cast bullet load ahead of RL-7 about 1750 fps.
of course this runs at quite a bit less pressure than a jacketed load, Plus you also have carbon from the waxy bullet lube.
Talk about a carbon-ed up mess. Scrape scrape scrape to no avail.

I finally gave in and ordered a Nib bolt and carried for the Black out.
Much improved clean up.

I think the hoppes gets dirty, but I wouldn't call it contaminated. It's a solvent, can be used many times. I've never hit the point to where it's not useful as a solvent.

I used to let pistol barrels soak in it for several minutes, then flip to soak the other end.

I don't clean bores very often anymore. But I drop AR bolts in the jar, just the bolt, not the carrier lol.

Even if the hoppes gets dirty, most folks wipe parts down after anyways, so nothing will be harmed

Doesn't loose effectiveness that I notice. It's a solvent, so eventually it will. Hoppes is a consumable product anyway.

I use the same thing I use for the carbon in the bore: KG-1
Just about any CLP will work just fine as well.

BUT....

Shoot the bolt wet -- really wet -- and the carbon never cakes & so can be simply wiped off w/ a paper towel. ;)

Back