Car mount options?

Coop de Ville

Good morning all, Wanted to get some opinions on mounting a holster in my car. I carry strong side IWB and sitting in my car for more than 15 seconds causing extreme discomfort(as well as not being all that great for the holster). I was thinking about mounting a cheap foam(Uncle Mike's) holster up under the steering column or down near my right knee on the side of the console. It should be concealed to avoid legal problems. So, I was going to mount a little bracket or dog ear that the holster clip could slide in/out of. Does anyone else have a setup like this. Funds are limited, or else I would look at a cross draw or shoulder rig.
A quick aside to the legal part: I can carry open and concealed(North Carolina), so in theory does it really matter where the gun is? Do they bust you if it's concealed but meant to be open or open but you're trying to conceal it? Thanks- Coop

Depending on what you drive, you might consider seat covers with pockets. I have seen some with a pocket across the front of the bottom cushion, under your knees. A cheapo nylon holster Velcroed into this pocket should be easily reachable. The Velcro is so you can adjust the position till you like it.

My son's car has pockets on the backs of the seats, and the car's small enough that the driver can easily get stuff out of the pocket on the back of the passenger seat.

Another idea: Many cars have "blanking panels" in the dash if you did not buy the optional CD player or nav system. I have seen storage compartments you can buy (Pep Boys? JC Whitney? dealer? don't recall) that fit into these spaces. Look for one with a cover/lid. You won't fit a full size 1911 in them, but a Kahr or a 2" snubbie would go.

Back