Car Lockbox Options

johnwill

I'm looking for a box to secure under the seat of my car. Of all the options I've currently seen, they are all way too big. I'd like to find a drawer arrangement that's sized for a single gun, and has either a pushbutton lock and perhaps an option for a remove electronic release. It should also have a spring-loaded drawer, so that when it's opened, the pistol is at hand. I think this thing shouldn't have to be more than about 7 x 9 x 2 to get the job done. Has anyone seen something that might fit this description?

Well, can't help you very much ... I never had any luck finding such a product, but my vehicles don't have room under the seats anyway.

Another option is to mount it behind you, on the floor. Worked real well in one SUV I had, but is more problematic on the current vehicle.

It's a Mossberg product: http://www.mossberg.com/of.htm . Click on 'Firearm Safe' - for some reason, the link isn't working this am.

The top opens, so it won't work in your application. However, it is relatively thin, and seems well made. Only problem I had was a latch loosening, and while troublesome, the fix was easy and I don't think it is a problem anymore.

Good luck. Regards from AZ

I don't have a link but there is company named "R&D Enterprises" (I think) that has car gun safes. I got one that installs in
the console of my truck. Sorry I don't have a URL.

Thanks guys, those aren't the ones I'm thinking of. I left a message for FUD here about one he posted a picture of, but he didn't answer. I'll keep looking. :)

Here's the one I have.
http://www.palmersecurity.com/drawer.htm

The drawer itself is not spring loaded but the hinged dust cover is. The safe will hold one full sized and one compact guns. You can buy additional mounting plates so you can transfer the safe from vehicle to vehicle to home/motel. etc. There is a carry handle on the end.

The nice thing about his safe is that the drawer slides out to you. This is very important for under seat mounting. It puts the safe completely out of sight; you punch the code, twist the knob, and pull the handle and the drawer slides out between your legs where its easy to reach.

The safes with the hinged doors are more trouble to get stuff out of because you have to reach under to hit the code then reach even further back under to get the gat.

Dr. J,

I've looked there, but they're too big to go under most seats, especially the ones that already have a power seat motor under there. :)

Bullwinkle,

The one you point out is the closest to a possible match for my needs, but I'd really like one that is sized for a single gun, no reason for it to be any bigger than that. I'd also like it to pop the drawer out with the gun exposed, I don't want to have to open a top after keying in the combination.

I use one of the boxes from R & D in the car. I attached a chain using one of the holes in the bottom and wrap and lock it around the seat frame in the car. This way I can move it between cars. It sits on the back seat floor. The push button lock is quick and easy to get into. Depending on the size of you cars built-in console betwen seats, you can fit some of these in there.

Well, the one that SM&A sells is a bit too wide, I've looked at that one. FWIW, they do good work on guns, I've had a number worked over by them.

I've looked at the R&D models, they're also not what I'm looking for. I want it concealed under the seat.

The one that Galls sells looks interesting, though I wish it were a bit shorter. I want it right under the driver's seat, and there isn't that much room in my car. I may have to measure again, it's close to what I'm looking for. :)

[This message has been edited by johnwill (edited June 20, 2000).]

I am extremely happy with my R&D Enteprises (14" model I think it is) which I mounted on the passenger side front floorboard of my pickup with a broken yardstick double-stacked front and back as spacers to give the door room to open toward me as I sit in the driver's seat. Go here:

www.handgunsafe.com

BTW, passengers are duly advised to "deal with it". They simply put their left foot on top the box and their right foot on the floorboard to the right of the box.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited June 20, 2000).]

Back