caps

zworld

Where can I buy caps online but the 100 count, I don't want to spend 79.00 for a thousand at cabelas. Also would be nice to get balls and wads at the same place. Any suggestions? Thanks

Not very cost effective to buy one tin of 100 online. The caps will be five or six bucks, and the hazmat fee is now $25, I believe, so you'll be paying $30+ for a single tin if that's all you buy.

They had all the caps you want at the National shoot at Friendship last week.
They were 59.00 a thousand Rem. or CCI

It's actually cheaper to shoot a modern centerfire round than it is to shoot a muzzle loader with shooting supplies bought at the local Cabelas.:mad: And to add insult to injury, their "black powder" section doesn't even carry actual black powder.

As another poster said, the haz-mat fee is going to kill you if you only order 100.

I do not recommend CCI musket caps. I have problems with reliable ignition in my Richmond Carbine. Work OK with my Enfield. I attribute this to the cross-drilled right-angle fire channel in the Richmond, vs. the straight-in fire channel in the Enfield.

I only use RWS caps.

Back Creek Gun shop does not charge hazmat for shipping caps. They tried to get an answer out of UPS and they did not respond, so for now they don't charge hazmat for caps. This is what they told me on the phone yesterday.

I ended up ordering from Powder Inc instead as it was cheaper to buy 10 pounds 3F Goex and 1000 RWS caps from them instead of Back Creek since I had to pay pazmat for the powder either way.

Steve

I feel blessed, I have a LGS that carries Real Black Powder and several the have caps on hand.

Even WalMart in my neck of the woods carries caps.

I'm blessed to have a vender come to our local target shoots who sells real black powder and caps at reasonable prices, and who keeps a wide assortment of flints, jags, nipples, wads, patching material including Teflon coated target patching, gun parts, locks, barrels, knife blades, round balls, bullet molds etc.
I'm not sure what we'll do if he decides to hang it up and retire.

There is a local gun store that sells real black but at really marked up prices, I can get Swiss black powder from our traveling vender for what the local gun store wants for Goex.

It's actually cheaper to shoot a modern centerfire round than it is to shoot a muzzle loader with shooting supplies bought at the local Cabelas.

Black powder is not as cheap to shoot as I would have thought. Last time I costed out the components including lead, powder, and cap, it came out to about $.30 a shot for my musket. That's on par with 7.62x39.

The only saving grace is you shoot ammo a lot more slowly. :)

Steve

Does Brush Hippie still make or sell those ingenious cap-formers that you insert a sheet of aluminum from a cut-up pop drink can and then hammer on that die like a Lee-Loader and you get instant useable caps out of them?

All you got to do is then charge the caps with the stipenate compound from toy caps, or better. A 99 cent store around my way has these throw-down firecrackers that snap when you fling them to the ground. The "powder" inside these firecrackers are essentially priming mixtures. Charge it up and then put a membrane of tissue paper over the charge to hold it in place. Then load and fire your caplock like usual business.

I lost my supplier for real BP after moving from Eastern Washington to Northern California five years ago. Since then I haven't been shooting my BP guns as much as I'd like in order to make my powder last as long as possible. So far I haven't been able to find a local source in Northern CA or over around Reno Nevada.
Steve
I saw your post and I've gotta ask?
I ended up ordering from Powder Inc instead as it was cheaper to buy 10 pounds 3F Goex and 1000 RWS caps from them instead of Back Creek since I had to pay pazmat for the powder either way.
How much did it end up costing with shipping and hazmat fees? Also will they break up orders such as that, for example if I wanted to order five pounds of FFG and five pounds of FFFG Goex?
Gotta agree those RWS caps are hard to beat especially their musket caps.

Last edited:
If you wait until hunting season starts you will find Remington # 10's & 11's at Cabela's, Bass Pro, and Walmart carries Winchester Magnum #11's.

Blockade Runner sells RWS musket primers by the 100's and charges hazmat accordingly .

I was lucky to find some at Greentop (Richmond VA) they were 8.99/100 for Remingtons. I can buy these online for 4.99-6.99/100 but must pay hazmat ($25-$28). As you can see after 8+/- boxes you will realize a savings. Best bet is to either shoot a whole bunch or do a group buy.

How much did it end up costing with shipping and hazmat fees? Also will they break up orders such as that, for example if I wanted to order five pounds of FFG and five pounds of FFFG Goex?

My total for 10 pounds 3F Goex + 1000 RWS caps was $289.50.

Their web site computes totals with shipping and hazmat included.

I think they can split up orders but you will have to check with them. It all boils down to how much will fit in a box that limits what they can combine for shipping/hazmat. Obviously a pound of 2F is the same as a pound of 3F as far as that goes.

Steve

Steve
Thanks for the info, I'll probably order from them. I doubt that we will ever see reasonably priced black powder again. Last time I bought it I think I paid $15 for a pound of Goex over the counter when I was still in Washington. Just a few years prior to that I was getting it for $5 a pound from that same retailer. IMO the Hazmat nonsense is just a hidden tax intended to discourage sales of BP, caps, and primers.

Back Creek Gun Shop still sells Goex BP for $17 a pound in-person.

I don't know if Powder Inc. sells in person or not. Powder Inc. came out about 30 dollars cheaper shipped, though.

My local gun store sells it for $26 per pound. But they seldom have caps.

Steve

Graf & Sons is another good site for caps and black powder in quantities from 1 to 50 pounds, (50 pounds is the most you can legally order and ship). I believe they are only charging a hazmat fee of $15.00, right now. Keep yer powder dry..........Robin ;)

For pistols, I have had good fitment with Dynamil Nobel No. 1075 caps. Smaller than Remington 11s, larger that 10s. One of my local gun stores carries them. I've never seen true black, been shooting Pyrodex P.

Back