Cap n Ball revolvers for CAS

dalegribble

Do people use cap n bal revolvers in cas? I have been to a few cas shoots and although many use bp, I can't remember seeing and cap n ball revolvers. Seems like they would be alot of fun.

I have seen mention of them being used as backups like small bore pocket guns but I am not sure why they arent used much except perhaps by putting in cartridge conversion cylinders so they can fire cartridges. Maybe cowboys are like alot of shooters and are more interested in shooting than loading at a match, and don't want the mess and time to reload a front loader? You might find more interest in cap and ball among CW reenactors or the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc, which holds matches for that particular type of handgun.

Yes there is a Frontier Class for C & B revolvers. I shoot Frontier and have the last 4 moonths, with my 2nd Gen Colt 1851 Navies or my 1960 Belgian Colt re-issue 1860 Armies. Both sets are a hoot to shoot and make all that smoke. In stages that one has to reload on the clock most RO's let you load all six at the table and recap only on the clock.
It' s alot of fun to shoot C & b in a CAS match.

Back