Cap 'n Ball Gunsmiths ?

KenF

I have a Colt 1851 Navy .36 with a broken cylinder stop. It's a replica, but made by Colt. I've got a replacement part from Dixie Gun Works, and will be attempting to replace it myself in the next day or two.

But.....if I end up with a bag of parts instead of a working gun, does anybody know of a gunsmith that will work on this one ? Especially in the Houston, Texas area ?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,
Ken.

If it is a Colt send it back to them to fix it, likely they will do so at minimal charge and that would be the best way to handle the situation. I don't believe you have to worry about high shipping costs when sending a black powder firearm.

Good idea !

I forgot to mention that it's been over 25 years since I bought it, so any original receipts, etc. are long gone. Do you know how particular Colt might be about this kind of thing ?

Ken.

With a few exceptions there an ok company to deal with. Call them up and ask them. I would think they would be happy to keep a 25 year customer in a good mood. If they aren't I'm sure you could find someone who will fit the bolt. George Stringer would do it I bet. Go to the smithy forum and post there if you have no luck with Colt.

Back