Can't See Iron Sites anymore

ssyork

Inactive
I have a problem hunting with my Marlin 336C-35. I can no longer focus using the iron sites wearing my Progressive Lens Glasses. My son recommends adding a EER scope. I am looking at the Leupold FX-II Scout 2.5x28mm Duplex Scope with Leupold QRW Low mounted on a Weaver Scout Scope Mount for Marlin 336.
Looks like the Eye Relief is 9.3 inches. Since I must use my Progressive Lens Glasses to see, has anyone had any experience using Progressive Lens with the above setup?

more info: When I focus on the back site the front disappears and same in reverse. I am hunting in the woods with a max kill distance of 25-35 yards.
Someone mentioned using hunting glasses, problem is I have lost both my near and far ability to see, so I really can't see how bifocal hunting glasses will help, I would just fall out of the stand... :)

Last edited:
Low powered scopes mounted conventionally have proven to work better that the scout type setups. I'd mount a 1-4X or 2-7X in the lowest rings you can find, focus the scope for your eyes and be good to go.

Scopes, mounts, everything is cheaper, more accurate, faster for close range work, better for long range work, and easier to use, and they don't mess up the guns balance as much.

Although it does not LOOK very traditional, a red dot sight is a great option for a 30-30 or 35 Rem lever gun. The Burris FastFire is good one for the money.

Low power scopes are a real good option. I like the 1-4X 20mm scopes from Nikon and Leupold. I have a Nikon.

I also have increasing problems with focussing on the front sight. Shooting at a black target on a white background is not a problem, but in a hunting envrionment with cluttered background and a wide variety of lighting conditions, I just loose the front sight... and then once I get it back, I can't see enough of the target to be confident.

For example, trying to target a brownish-gray deer against a grayish-brown background of timber, earth and granite.

Interlock beat me to it. I would suggest a peep sight. Quick acquisition, and better sight radius than regular open sights, and won't mar the appearance of your lever gun. I can see a peep with my aging eyes, and I bet you could also.

I went to Ghost ring receiver sights many years ago for what you have described. My favorite setup is my custom bolt action scout in 30-06 with a Williams Firesight front sight and the Ghost ring. It's plenty accurate out to 200 yards. I ring the 8 inch plates at 200 yards with it all the time. With standard open sights things are pretty safe much past 75 yards these days. :D

Cut out a 3/8" circle of electricians tape, put a 1/16" hole in the middle and stick it to your glasses where you look through when shooting the rifle. The sights will come into focus when looking through that little hole.

Doesn't cost anything to try.

I'll second the peep sight, I have a Williams receiver sight on an old 36 and it works great. Lots of options as far as eye pieces go helps too.

Talk to your Optometrist preferably one that shoots, Have them make you a pair of tri focal glasses for shooting. They can place the shooting portion of the lens precisely were they need to be for your shooting. You will have to learn to look over when you are hunting but it will allow you to maintain a good steady hold when actually firing.

I wear progressives and have a difficult time with them.

Aperture rear sight, Williams and DPMS come to mind since I have both and hi viz fiber optic front sight like the Marbles Uni Ramp Front sight, problem solved. I think there are a lot of Lyman sights that would work too.

for ltc444

ltc444 - how difficult is it to get used to the trifocals, if you use them only at the range? Like you, I wear progressives and they are a pain. Also, are the trifocals a fair bit less expensive? I got hosed on the last pair of progressives I bought, but I got the scrip and the centering information, so maybe I could order trifocals.

There was a fellow out west who advertised in the Cowboy Chronicle and made shooting glasses for progressive-wearers. Unfortunately, I lost his contact information. The good part was that the prescription lens sit "inside" and you can change the outer protective part to any color you like. I think his approach was to change where everything is relative to the position of your head when shouldering a long gun. Not sure how that works as you go to/from handguns in the same stage.

I have the Bright Sights paint on some handgun sights and I've tried a red dot sight as well both are pretty good but the peep is a great idea, while going through some effort trying to diagnose the same problem with my right eye, one of the things I could do is focus through a very small hole due to light concentration. Good luck with it, it's tough getting old......

I have never had any trouble with my Nikon Monarch and Buckmaster 4x40's on my Marlins. However, if I wanted to rig up for fast action run and gun I would put on a good quality relex sight in a heart beat. Burris makes one I really like. Truglo also makes a red dot with multiple lighted reticles that also gives you 2X magnification. It's on sale now at Natchezss.com for only $104.

-7-

Back