Can't Load Pro-Load in My Ruger SP-101

Gary H

I bought some Pro-Load .357 Mag. tactical lite 125 Grain and couldn't close the cylinder without forcing and then the gun would not function. Same ammunition in my 686 could be forced to load, but in both cases I had to use tools to remove the rounds from the cylinders.

Anyone have this problem with Pro-Load. I've got a number of boxes that seem to have the same problem.

I've never heard of that happening before.
I suggest you call or e-mail the owner John at Proload ASAP.
He is a good guy, and if you got some sub-standard ammo, he will correct it to your satisfation 100%.

When the SP101 was first introduced it was chambered in .38 Spl. IIRC the next year they came out with the .357 Mag version. But the first production runs of the .357 Mag SP101 had the same shorter cylinder as the .38 Spl. version and the side of the barrel was inscribed with the disclaimer "125gr .357 Mag Ammo Only" (or words to that effect). They wouldn't reliably chamber standard 158gr ammo. The next year Ruger lengthened the cylinder, now the SP101 will chamber any SAMMI spec ammunition.... but with little room to spare.

With that said, it is easily possible to load ammo that's longer than SAMMI specs. I suspect that's what Pro-Load has done with the ammo you bought. It's an old handloader trick: by loading the bullet long more room is created in the case for powder - allowing for higher velocities at standard pressures. I use to do it myself when loading hunting ammo for my S&W 686 (most full sized revolvers have cylinders 1/16" or so longer than SAMMI requires). Hornady and others even make .357" bullets with an extra crimping groove to facilitate loading ammo with extra long OAL. -- Kernel

Back