Can't identify an Arisaka

sjansen

Inactive
It looks like the stock is a type 99 32, but the gun looks like a 35 and the rear sight looks like it is standard, but put on backwards.

The serial number is 23345.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Most likely that stock didn't come on that gun. You can see the handguard is set up for the earlier rear style sight instead of the "last ditch" style that's on there. I also won't expect the full length handguard or the metal butt plate with the last ditch sight, both front and rear. Is there a serial number on the bayonet lug? If so, does it match? A shot of the arsenal mark would be helpful as well.

It's a nagoya and the front boyonet lug says 02 and what looks like a degree mark.

Also do you have any idea why the rear sight would be on backwards. The rifle was supposed to be a bring back and I didn't care because it was super cheap.

See the pick on the bayo lug and seriel/maker.

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 34
I have no idea on that rear sight, it's not set up like any of the other fixed rear sights that I've seen, not even backwards. That front band definiatly doesn't match the reciever, so it appears someone put an earlier stock on a late war barreled action.

I can't make out the series mark in front of the serial number. Nagoya didn't make a series 32 or 35 that you mentioned, they only got up to series 12 on Type 99s. Maybe a series 10? The symbol looks similar to 32 and 35. A table of the symbols can be found here: http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

That's the same web site I used to identify it as Nagoya. Does anyone know why a site would be put on backwards and the wrong stock would be on an arisaka. I am not a neophyte and have no clue. I just love the education and had to buy this enigma.

Or is this something completely different? Is it an interim between the 32 and 35? Did the gunsmith not know what he was doing because of the last ditch program being newly done? The rear sight being backwards should be a givaway if anyone has seen this before. It's a low number and looks to be start of something. It looks right and not done after the war. The sight is correct for a 35, but is put in backwatds.

Does anyone know what is going on?

could have been a parts gun. The sight might have been mounted by a baka who didn't really know the difference...

Might have been put together in Bubba's garage from a bunch of parts after the war....
might have been put together by a Marine, who wanted something to sell or trade before, during, or even after occupation...

Lots of possiblities, the only really definate one is that if it left the arsenal the way you have it now, somebody was not having a good day.

That's what it looked like to me. It looks arsenal. The barrel looks 100%. I think it's only been dropped once. There is paint on the reciever on the back, but the rest matches in patina. I think it is arsenal and that it is the way it came to its owner, but I would like confirmation if anyone has any knowledge.

Again, that sight is not just put on backwards, it's completely different than any other Arisaka sight I've seen before.

You keep mentioning 32 and 35, where are these numbers coming from? There is no series 32 or 35 from the Nagoya arsenal. Look at the symbol to the left of the serial number and find out what series it's from.

I have no idea about the number to the left. It may be a star.

Can you identify it?

Attachments

• IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 28
Wow, that's a lousy marking. Do you happen to have a white crayon around? it can help highlight the marking and may make it more readable.

Thanks all. I think I figured it out. It is a nagoya last ditch with the wrong type of stock. The rear and front are last ditch from the series 8. It doesn't have the right bolt either. Sort of a mixmaster.

Thanks again,

Anything is possible. Late in the war communication started to break down. Receivers and barrels that were originally "seconds" suddenly were good enough. Many of these became throw-togethers by the Japanese. It is not unusual to see unblued guns that are miss matched and have no serial no# on the receiver.

welcome aboard.
gunplummer
Anything is possible. Late in the war communication started to break down. Receivers and barrels that were originally "seconds" suddenly were good enough. Many of these became throw-togethers by the Japanese. It is not unusual to see unblued guns that are miss matched and have no serial no# on the receiver.

Gunplummer isn't wrong. You've got a unique specimen. Is it a valuable collectible? Mostly not.

Keep reading.

Back