Cant get this bolt open.??????

PJHeck

Inactive
This is a Danish-Madsen, 30-06, a South American contract rifle, 30-06. It is near new condition. I cant open the bolt, tried several years ago, wouldnt open then either. The little squeeze release (?) you see on the left squeezes just fine, but nothing happens as far as releasing the bolt from its closed position. The gadget with the squeezer in it wont move either; up, down, fore or aft. There is an S on top of the brownish sleeve just behind the squeeze gadget. All this stuff jiggles, but the bolt handle wont come up......????? Every thing about this rifle is near new.

Comments...........?????

PJH

fwdMhQQl.jpg

EwvFiPjl.jpg

One possible guess? Maybe fired an over-pressured cartridge in it vaporing the case head into the bolt and locking the bolt lugs to the receiver. Don't ask me how I came about this conclusion.:o Can't tell from the pic, but you might try disassembling the bolt (I don't know that particular model)

Looks like it's going to stay in near new condition ... have you ever been able to open the bolt...or did you buy it with the bolt stuck closed ?
Gary

I would second Blindstitches opinion.

Verify a cleaning rod will reach the bolt face without finding a cartridge.

Remember,its loaded till you prove otherwise.

Its common,and desirable for a safety to lock the bolt shut.

Bolts that come open abd get lost on the move render a rifle useless.

And until you understand how the safety might lock the bolt,please do not use force.

Its likely the rifle is correct,and this is operator error

MillSurp but most were never issued

The Madsen is referred to as the last mauser. Some were never issued nor used, just sat around in crates, for years. That is why they are in such "perfect" condition. I sold mine about three years ago and use to have a diagram. Keep searching and I wil contact the dealer that I sold it to and see if he still has it. These beauties have quite a history to them. The bayonet is even harder to find. Will get back to you when I find out more. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

It isn't a squeeze release...that's the safety.
Take it out in the back yard, point it at the ground and pull the trigger. Rotate the bolt up, pull it out while depressing the trigger.
If it does not come out, squirt some Kroil into the locking lug area ( between the safety and the bolt handle ) let it sit overnight and try again.

Did you take the safety off ?then try as the other poster said,that was my first thought when I saw the "s"
Especially when you said everything jiggles probably not rush and probably not an over pressure fjreing ,that tends to make things NOT jiggle

Hopefully, you've run a cleaning rod from the muzzle down the bore to determine whether there's either a loaded cartridge...or an empty shell in it.

If it seems empty, cock the rifle by pulling back on the cocking piece at the rear of the bolt. If that works, try rotating the bolt, both with and without the safety being on. or with the bolt cocked and the safety on.

If you're still here, please report on how you're doing with the rifle, after trying the various things people have suggested.

When you've expended all your idea's, try hammering the bolt open Very good chance you'll break the bolt handle but it can be fixed. On the other hand if you simply can't get the bolt open then the rifle is good for nothing more than hanging on the wall anyway! Of course you could take it to a gunsmith and if he breaks the handle he's liable to fix it!

If you've determined that there's a FIRED case in the chamber, try holding the rifle vertical and dripping penetrating oil down the bore until the amount exceeds an empty case capacity, so the oil can saturate the area between the case and chamber, hopefully, causing the case to lose its grip on the chamber, should there be one there. Stand the rifle on a surface where, should the oil leak past the boltface, it won't damage the floor or other surface. A winter boot tray would be a good surface on which to place the rifle butt. Check the tray surface often after a few hours.

Folks - there's not much point in continuing to give advice to someone who asked a question and then disappears a day later without replying or acknowledging any of the advice given. (As you may guess, that is one of my pet peeves.)

Mal H: I don't mind if you wanna close it.

I was following with great interest, but like you said, it is a dead issue if the OP doesn't respond.

I say: just like a drive by with out a link.

I mean, if he is sick with CORONA (God forbid) or something, then it is excusable.

The other option is that he figured out how to work it, and is too embarrassed to come back and admit his error.

AS to the "advice" to just hammer it open and have a gunsmith fix it after, shame on you!

If it was meant to be sarcasm, please DO use the smilies or state it is sarcasm, so the rest of the world can tell you really aren't the kind of idiot the post implies...:rolleyes:

There is one other possibility - someone may have used WD-40 and then stored it for a long time. That will seize it up tight. The best remedy I know for that is to soak it again with WD-40 and it will free up.

I don't know about you guys but I'm putting a bookmark on this one and coming back in 7 years to revive this zombie like those other recently awaken threads.

I hope they got it open. Looks like an interesting rifle.

I'm not advocating anything, but I've heard GREAT things from my farmer-brother-in-law about this stuff. It works miracles on rusted bolts on tractors, implements, stubborn farm equipment:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB996456
I saw it work, first hand. Almost bent/broke a wrench on a rusty 1" bolt on a plow...one application of with this stuff and it was easily broken free...one tug and bingo...nut came off.
All of you folks are a lot smarter than me...I wouldn't want you to damage your rifle.
This was just a thought on my part.

p.s.
He buys this stuff by the case.

Back