Can't Get Mainspring Housing Retainer Pin In Kimber!! Help!!

Shake

I just disassembled my Kimber for the first time and CAN'T get the &%$#@!! mainspring housing pin (the one that holds the housing in the frame) back in. Everything works perfectly, just can't get the thing in!! It goes in until just about 1/8" is still protruding. Looking from the other side of the frame, it looks like the pin isn't perfectly lined up with the frame hole, yet the housing is flush with the frame. Any suggestions? I think its been assembled correctly, just doesn't seem right to have to put that much pressure on the thing. I really don't want to force the thing.

I'm panicking. Its my first 1911, so I'm not an expert.

Shake

If it has gone in that far it's probably OK. There may be a slight misalighnment in the frame holes. Use a punch with a nylon insert and a light hammer to tap it in. If you don't have a punch with a nylon insert then go to the nearest Chinese Restaurant and get some chopsticks - cut the pointy end off about 3 inches long and use it as a punch in the dimpled end of the pin. This makes a great disassembly tool as well.

The other end of the chopstick can be used to drive stuck bullets out of your buddies gun (because you will never have that problem in yours ;) ) and other tasks that require a non-marking punch. When they get a little worn go get some more. The price is right!

Mikey

Sounds strange but it works in mine..

I have found that after positioning the housing, push down on rear bottom edge. I use a nylon bench block. Push downward onto the block. I have found I can practically push the housing pin all the way into position like this.

I personally don't like to force this pin into alignment.
In my experience this tends to enlarge the pin holes in the frame. Hope this helps.

What he said ;)

Find something that you can use to put pressure on the MSH, and push it in a little further. The spring tension from the hammer strut is causing the MSH to be pushed down, which is causing your pin to bind.

Also, it's much easier to do this with the hammer DOWN.

Good luck

Back