• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Can't do anything but type

Keltyke

I've found I can't post a picture, use smileys, or any type of font modification such as bold or italics. Can someone help me? I'm running Windows 98 and AOL 7.0. (dinosaur computer)

TIA!
Gerald

I don't see anything in your account settings that would prevent you from doing those things.

When you're typing in your response, immediately above the area where the text is appearing, there are a number of small icons that perform most of these features.

For example, if you want text to be bold, highlight the text and then click on the
bold.gif
icon.

To post an image, click on the
insertimage.gif
icon and paste the url of the picture into the window that comes up. Note that if you want to post an image that does not already appear on the web, you'll have to upload it using the "Manage Attachments" button that appears below the text window in the "Reply to Thread" window.

The smilies should appear on the right side of the text window. Put your cursor where you want the smiley to appear and then click on the appropriate smiley.

Let me know if any of that works.

You're not going to like the answer, but I think you will need to upgrade your operating system. I'm not sure (tyme would be), but I believe many of the controls and images are either Java or Active-X, things that you probably don't have or don't have the latest of in Windoze 98 and the older version of IE you are probably using.

One thing you might try is to change the TFL "skin". Down at the bottom of any screen you'll see a control that is most likely set to "-- vBulletin 3". Change it to "-- vBulletin 3 - variable fonts" and see if it at least fixes the font problem.

Thanks, Mal. I might can upgrade the ActiveX. Or maybe I can compose a post off-site and paste it in there. I'll try that.

Gerald

Another option is to type in the commands rather than use the icons.

Most of the commands are in the following format

['command']Text[/'command']

For Bold text, replace 'command' with 'B', for italics it's 'I', for underline it's 'U'.

To quote text the command is 'quote', to change the size it's 'size=x' where x is 1 through 7 with 7 the largest.

To change fonts the command is 'font=z' where z is the font name.

If there's an = in the first command bracket there's no need to put it in the second command bracket. In other words the format is:

['command'=whatever]Text[/'command']

To insert an image, use the command 'IMG' and instead of text, paste the url of the image between the two bracketed commands. Unfortunately you'll be limited to images that are already on the web or that you have hosted in your own account (such as a photobucket account) since the "Manage Attachments" probably won't work for you.

Smilies are usually in the form of a colon plus another character

In order from left to right, top to bottom the smilies are:

colon p
colon o
colon confused colon
colon rolleyes colon
semicolon rightparen
colon leftparen
colon eek colon
colon cool colon
colon D
colon barf colon
colon rightparen
colon mad colon

There are no spaces in between the characters, I added spaces for clarity.

Can your computer run Firefox adequately? If not, try Opera.

This can't be the only website that's given you problems with such an old web browser. The sad reality is that you need to keep both your OS and web browser up to date if you want to be able to use a lot of websites and avoid malware.

You should strongly consider installing Windows XP, or switching to something like Ubuntu if you don't depend on any windows-only applications. You would probably want at least 512MB ram in either case, for things like Firefox or OpenOffice.

Back