Can't decide on a new scope..

Greg500sw

I'm looking at the Weaver 3-10 grand slam tactical and the SWFA 6x super sniper for a general use deer/coyote/varmint rifle out to 700 yards.

What I'm looking for is a scope with a mil/moa reticle, exposed knobs with good tracking, decent low light visibility, and around $300. Based on my research that is these 2 scopes and the other Super sniper scopes are the ones that fit, but more than a fixed 6 is too much for a hunting gun in my opinion.

Can anybody with first hand experience and help me decide? Or suggest a scope I may have missed in the price range?

OR
Should I just save the money for a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 or similar?

This will be going on a 17" .308 Savage model 12

Also, I apologize this may come out as a jumbled mess, but that's how my brain prefers to work unfortunately..

I don't pretend to know much about scopes, but I can say my mil-dot 4x fixed power scope really doesn't have the magnification needed for 300 yards, so if I was to need something for 1/3 mile a 4-12x would be my minimum.

I have and use the Weaver scope you are talking about. I like it the optics are clear it seems to track well (all I have done was a 100yd zero) and it has held up to truck bouncing, tree climbing, and recoil all hunting season. IMO a 10 power scope with quality glass is plenty for what you are wanting to do. And you'll have lower magnification for up close woods hunting.

I have used both and a ten power super sniper works well, in fact the elevation turrets perform very well as for the x10 is not required but do get the scope sunshade it also has side focus and the weavers glass is clear as the super sniper but I do like the super sniper far more and is one I would choose. Good luck in your choice.

I don't think I'd like a fixed 6X on coyote, deer, or varmints at 700 yards. I doubt I'd use a 6X at 700 yards on elk or moose sized game. I like to aim smaller than 6X allows on game at longer ranges, I have a few of 6X and 7X variables and about 400 yards is where I'd feel comfortable on deer.

I think SWFA Super Sniper and the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical are good scopes. I have only the Weaver at this point, but I do want to try the Super Sniper scope as well as the Leupold MarkAR jmr40 recommends. For a hunting scope I'm waiting to see what the new Vortex Razor LH verdict is.

My first scope was a K-6 Weaver I bought with GI bill money in 1975. This was the first scope or scoped rifle I had ever used, and I had been shooting center fire rifles since I was 10.

I can't comment on modern Weavers, only have read that they are perfectly serviceable and have a good warrantee. I have still have that old K-6, if that matters, and it still works as well now as it did then. It was passed around rifles like a doobie.

I will comment that many shooters tend to over scope hunting rifles IMO. 6x is plenty of scope for any realistic hunting application.

I had never fired a scoped rifle until 1975, but at 12 yoa I could bust a sheetrock bucket at 200yds,offhand, with my fathers MKX,30-06. How did hunters ever kill without them?

Fixed power optics are simpler, much more durable, stand up to adjustment better, as well as recoil.

I have only heard great things about SWFA brand optics. So I would have to go fixed power.

Last edited:
If you decide on the Weaver, check out Natchez Shooters Supply. They have quite a few deeply discounted right now.

I had a Weaver Tactical in 3X15X50 w/ ill EMDR and FFP. It was beaver, good clear optics and decent overall. The turrets were mushy and not exactly precise. The illumination was horrible, even on the lowest setting, it flooded the optic to the point of wash out.

I used it for a few months then got rid of it. I think the Super Slam is a pretty good scope I most instance albeit with limited travel. About like a Leupold VX-3 in clarity with better light gathering. The Grand Slam by comparison is like a VX-2.

Weaver makes some decent scopes but, I'm not sold on anything below the Super Slam line.

Dranrab said:
f you decide on the Weaver, check out Natchez Shooters Supply. They have quite a few deeply discounted right now.

The Weaver scope the OP is talking about is built exclusively for Midway USA, Natchez wouldn't have it.

I don't hunt...
That said, target acquisition is much easier with a variable. I always dial way down to acquire/center the target, then back up to aim.

It's no different for hunting, I would think that being able to dial down to get your quarry in the crosshairs (before dialing back up) would be even more important given the location/range is going to vary. Isn't that why the 3-9x is the most prevalent hunting scope?

If a 'yote comes into view at a couple of hundred yards, isn't it going to be much faster picking him up at 3x as opposed to 6x? I'm sure some are better at this than others (me!)...but grabbing the rifle and trying to pick up a one-foot piece of steel at 600 yards isn't something that's easy for me at 20X.

Back