Cannot use soft tipped bullets in 7400...

bassadict69

Inactive
I have a Remington 7400 that I have used since I started hunting. I do not even remember where I got the gun. Anyway, it has always jammed if using soft tipped shells such as Core-Lokt. The first shell loads fine but after that first shot, the next one will jam every time.

If I use a hard tipped bullet such as a ballistic tip, everything loads and feeds fine with absolutely no problems.

I have tried cleaning it and oiling it myself but never had it professionally torn down and cleaned. Does this sound like a problem that can be easily fixed or alleviated with a thorough cleaning and oiling?

Cleaning may not really cure a feeding problem. There sound like other issues.

Could be a burr/smooth feed ramp issue or a magazine

I've seen at least a couple of those Rem SA mags that tended to "nose dive" the ammo at the beginning of the feed cycle. Check the tab (and it's slot) on the mag bottom that releases the bolt hold open. The magazines I tinkered with had burs in the slot or the tab was bent/mis-aligned.

Not sure about most of what you just mentioned, but I will take a closer look at the mag. I also think a buddy of mine has the same gun so I will try his mag if so.

Thank you everyone for the help!

It might be that the soft tipped ammo is just a bit too long to feed properly.
Since other ammo feeds ok, just use what works.
See how easy life can be.

Almost has to be the magazine. We had an old 7400 30-06 here for years, that ate several hatfulls of my H4895 reloads using the Sierra 150 SP and I can't remember it ever jamming.

Stop the presses.
I just remembered.
Many years ago I had a very good running 742.
Good running until I bought some higher capacity magazines.
Then it began doing what you are describing.
The mags came with a different magazine release I had over looked.
Once discovered and installed the gun ran right again, regardless of the ammo.
Are your mags stock or after market, by any chance?

A Core-Lokt should feed with no fuss. Cause might be the mag lips being bent in a tick(it happens fairly regularly). Fix is needle nosed pliers. Tweak the lips open a wee tiny bit.
Mind you, g.willikers has a point too. Just use what works.

Back