Cannon Powder

Clint Tickler

A freind of mine has a bp cannon and is asking me what type of powder to get for it. My instincts tell me the coarsest. Is that 4f?
Thanks.

4fg is the finest powder and normally used in the flashpan of flintlocks.

3fg is a bit more coarse and is normally used in pistols and many of the smaller bore rifles

2fg is bigger yet and used in rifles

1fg is cannon powder.

Now I am assuming that your friends cannon is not really a cannon but a small functioning replica, or in other words a pistol on wheels. In this case you would be best shooting 3fg.

-Take care

1 F

Your probably gonna use about 2-4 oz. of powder for eack shot.
If your just shootin' blanks, try a scoop of sand over the powder if it's a short muzzel. You can get a better sound by doing that.
For demonstratrions, if you angle your shots into valleys and such, you bounce the sound. I think 20 car alarms going off is the record. However in California this rule does not apply, due to the abundance of these animals.
Watch shootin' golf balls... They unravel... But, they make a really cool sound when the cover comes off.
A morter round can be made with a split tennis ball and a tin-foil charge inside. About a 6-8 in. fuse works. When the tenis ball hits. There is a delay and a nice POP.
AHH... You know this is all theory, right...

Some years ago I got a box lot of junk at a farm auction for $3. I do that occasionally just for the grins and giggles, and in the past have come up with some really neat stuff.

In this box, though, there were about 20 bottles of various grades of black powder, ranging from dust (probably 6 or 8 F) all the way up to what would probably be -10 F, or grains about the size of my thumb.

Pretty neat stuff. Over the years friends and I blasted off most of it.

Back