Canik TP9 Elite Combat

tahunua001

hello all,
my younger brother is considering getting his first concealed carry piece. he is considering the Canik TP9 Elite Combat edition. around 40 pounds ago, I got away with carrying the TP9SF concealed without much issue, though comfort was a bit of a problem. he is quite a bit lighter than me at around 180 pounds (6 ft) so concealing a longer handle shouldn't be a problem. the Elite combat does have the shorter grip length but does have a beveled magwell which does give cause for concern regarding printing and comfort.

is there anyone out there who has this particular model? do they carry? what are your opinions? how is reliability? I know the elites originally had teething problems.

and before you start, please keep the "buy a walther instead" comments to yourself.

I think he is specifically interested in the combat because of the threaded barrel for possible future use with a suppressor. the Elite would have been my first choice as well due to the high price tag, for the price of the combat, you could get a springfield XDM and get what I personally consider to be a better firearm but I do have a soft spot for Caniks and I am sure his interest comes from shooting the various models of Canik that I have owned over the years.

My experience is only with the the Elite SC. My particular model has functioned 100% since round 1 with mostly 115gr rn. The 2 different hollow points I've used cycled fine. I did have the nickel plating fail rather quickly on the firing pin. Century sent me a new one just as quickly and the new pin is retaining it's finish. I'm not sure if the combat has the nickel internals.

I've carried this one a couple times, but need a better holster before I will consider it on a regular basis.

Combat or Combat Executive? All the new TP9s have nickel plating starting with the ONE series release. The Combat isn't posted about a lot. Link states it has nickel FCG https://www.canikarms.com/en/series/tp-series/tp9-elite-combat

Since it's plating, that isn't as amazing as Canikfantic forum would make you think. Nothing in a FCU needs a plating. Nothing. Most good guns have case hardened and or treated metal though. Canik uses Phosphate on the FCU parts which is the lowest level of a covering--a blackened surface rusting. Then they moved to Nickel. The nickel move semi occurred with the TP9SF Elite having light strike and NATO required ammo issues. Probably unrelated upgrade though.

Here's the rub: So your springs are made of steel. If they are case hardened that makes them hard to cut and done wrong it makes metal brittle. If they are treated that makes them less likely to rust as treatment penetrates the metal. If they are nickel coated? mmm.... Nothing that is nickel plated in the TP9 needs to be nickel plated. In the gun world, Hard Chrome plating is a stronger wearing, whereas Nickel or electroless nickel plating was common on Kel Tec slides...but it just isn't really a thing that needs to be done. If there is wearing friction on parts, removing surface levels will only change the wear. A slick plating won't and will eventually be warn just like a non plated part. None of the FCU parts need a particularly slick material.

Yes. The TP9 series is a wide group. That little HK Funnel Jet look alike on the Combat/Combat Exec is going to throw a weird print. Maybe search around on the HK printing. I don't think you're going to find anyone with a Combat...just not that popular (not a knock on the pistol though).

You're way above the PPQ Navy price with Walther's (way) better metal treated parts...oh. You didn't want to hear Walther was better. I think Taylorfreelance.com makes a funnel kit for the PPQ too. :)

Last edited:
With all the options available on the market, why going (for carrying) with a gun with a 4.7 inch barrel? Excellent for HD or going to the range, but for carrying there are tons of other options. Just my 0.02 cents

Austin HiPowers said:
With all the options available on the market, why going (for carrying) with a gun with a 4.7 inch barrel? Excellent for HD or going to the range, but for carrying there are tons of other options. Just my 0.02 cents

Depending on the type of carry, grip length is usually the primary concern as compared to the barrel length.

tahunua001, if the outcome is buying one, please provide an AAR. I've been considering adding one of Canik's models to the stable. But, around here, it's few and far between on being able to test fire one for myself.

:) If you are saying you haven't found nickel FCG discussed on the canik forum....not much of a feature? But if you search for it, you'll see there are questions about when it happened. It seems it was guaranteed/started with the budget packaged ONE series.

The TP9 series is really wide. That would be my biggest complaint. Defiantly a better trigger than say an M&P. But I think the sub compact is the widest sub compact available.

I think there are better options. On the question of the funnel jet printing, I don't think you are going to get an answer. It is substantially wider at that screw on piece. I would search HK Funnel Jet carry print...

Back