Canadian Ammo

bshefa

I have been looking for my favorite deer ammo and have found several Canadian sites that have it. I see they can’t ship to the US, however anyone know the laws about physically going to Canada and buying ammo and coming back to the US? From a quick Google search it seems you could bring 5000 rounds back for personal use however I am not well versed on those kind of laws and don’t want to do something illegal.

I doubt very seriously you can transport ammo across. Treat anything you read on the internet with suspicion, do your own homework. Get on the border crossing web site and find out what is allowed and if you need more clarification give them a call, whatever you do don't get caught carrying a gun across.

Besides that that's a heck of a drive to get ammo.
I tried to get across a few years after 9/11 happen and was turned away because they felt I didn't have enough money on me as I told them I was thinking about driving across the country. They didn't like that answer.

The Canadian side was good about it all, the American side literally tore my car about looking for stuff. Dressed to kill and the only thing I didn't see up there was a tank and they probably had that hidden in the woods.

Got back down to a motel and it took over an hour to get all my stuff back in order. Total jerks they were.

Last edited:
You have to have a license to buy ammo in Canada, especially as a non-resident, and it's usually limited to ammo for hunting purposes.

Coming back to the US, the ATF requires all firearms and ammo to go through a FFL, unless you get a permit for sporting ammo for your own use.

One last thing, the border is closed to non-essential travel but will be opening later this month, if you have been vaccinated and can prove it.

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. I live less than 100 miles from the border and wouldn't consider it.

Keep the $$ at home. I know there os no ammo here.

I was in a small gunshop the first day or so of deer season for my annual visit. The phone rang about 4-5x and all the owner could say was "no I dont have any" amd I felt sorry for him. All they wanted was deer gun ammo..

Friends bring ammo all the time to Canada when they go hunting; they also bring whatever is leftover home.

I lived in Ontario for 46 years. Lived in Florida for 20 years, we are both Citizens now, my wife and I.
And before you ask "Where do you like best?" Don't.

I don't think it would be possible or a lot of people would be doing it. I live 20 minutes from the Detroit/Windsor bridge and have not heard anyone even discuss trying it until this thread.

Back