"Canada's cops rethink gun control"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Like police in the US, Canadian police have long been a bedrock of support for stricter gun control.[/quote]

Exsqueeze me? Since when?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In the United States, an
average of 87 people a day are killed by firearms.[/quote]

No cites, just a flat statement. No mention of what percentage are criminals, either.

I applaud the CPA for their stance, but Tom Regan, the twit who wrote this article, needs to be bitch-slapped.

------------------
"An Eley's No. 2 is an excellent argument
with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers
into knots."
--Sherlock Holmes

Yeah, bitch-slap him! LOL.

Wait. Hold the phone. "...because criminals don't register their guns." That's a shocker.

"In a survey of 3,300 Canadians last year, 50 of gun owners supported the mandatory registration of all firearms; 80 percent of all respondents said that they were in support."

Let's see, "50 of gun owners...supported", not "50 percent". So, is that a misprint, or the truth disguised as support? 50 of gun owners would be far far below 1%.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited August 26, 1999).]

Apparently Canadian calculators are slightly different from U.S. models. "193 Canadians were killed by firearms last year, 77 with a rifle and 99 with a handgun." What did the other 17 do? Chew on a live round?

i went up to winnepeg once, in the 1970's.
the women were hairy, you couldn't get ice cubes, and the misquitoes were giant.
but they drank alot of beer and the fishing was good.
i've never gone back as i can get all that in minnesota.
remember-canadians aren't citizens, they are subjects.

Approximately 9,000,000 gunowners in Canada.
90,000 have registered their guns as mandated by law.

That's roughly 1%.
Pretty "overwhelming", ain't it?

And, as in the US, no one knows just how many firearms there really are in Canada. There may be 90,000,000 known gun owners in Canada but just how many people have a little "something" salted away that only they know about? How many SMLE's and ammo have been stored "just in case"?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited August 26, 1999).]

Dennis - Shotguns? Yes, most likely. I guess it's just one of my pet peeves when a news story uses numbers that don't add up correctly or are incomplete.

Back