can you use a boostered can on fixed barrel?

Tommygun1

I'm waiting on my YHM cobra .45 M2 and I was wondering if a boosterd can such as this could be safely used on a fixed barrel gun. I have a semi auto sterling I could have threaded. Also it would be cool to get a MAC type weapon if such a thing were possible. I think atlantic has a few carbine type that would be great to suppress. I'm not going to waste the time or money if its going to screw up the can though. Anyone done this?

I took the piston to the hardware store and found a pipe coupler that fit around it and then cut it to length. That's about all there is.

Took me a couple tries to get the length right. Just so the piston doesn't move.

Yup. YHM used to make and sell them, but the ATF got a bit uppity about something and they haven't sold them again. Perfectly legal for you to do it though.

ATF withdrew their opinion of adaptors, spacers, pistons. All is well. You can buy a factory sleeve(fixed barrel spacer) or roll your own. Up to you.

ATF withdrew their opinion of adaptors, spacers, pistons. All is well. You can buy a factory sleeve(fixed barrel spacer) or roll your own. Up to you.
Yup, which is why it is perplexing that YHM won't start selling them again.

Hmm. Then show them your opinion by ordering a silencer from another manf.....
Except nobody else, at the time, sold a take apart boostered can. The Tri-Rant was still very much vaporware when I bought my YHM can.

Building a barrel spacer was no big deal. Some copper pipe, a dremel, duct tape, Ferric Chloride, and chemical resistant gloves was all I needed. (OK so I could have used a file instead of the Ferric Chloride, but I had the Ferric Chloride laying around.)

So I called YHM yesterday and asked them about shooting the M2 on a fixed barrel. They said it would be fine even with the spring in place. So now I don't know what the heck to do.

So I called YHM yesterday and asked them about shooting the M2 on a fixed barrel. They said it would be fine even with the spring in place. So now I don't know what the heck to do.
Yea, they told me that too, but you should use the fixed barrel spacer because otherwise you are going to be jack-hammering your threads and it will screw you over the long term.

Here is the thread where I asked about that over on Silencertalk.

YHM won't sell fixed barrel adapter. Make my own?

Now that I read the thread I remember that I was given the dimensions in a PM. Here they are.

"1.120 outside diameter...1.120 long (yep they are both the same) .994 inside diameter .062 thick"

Back