1942 MN 91-30 Laminate
1941 Finnish M39
1943 Enfield No 4 Mk 1
1943 Remington 1903a3
1924 Swiss K-11 Carbine
Yugo 24/47 (with scout-type scope)
1959 Sino-Soviet Type 56 SKS
1953 Polish M44 Carbine
1934 Austrian Steyr M95 Carbine (A.k.A. - The A** Kicker)

A couple have reproduction bayonets on them - can you spot them?
Bayo-3Oct15_zpswpo0cbnn.jpg

(FYI - There's a couple bayonets (left of the one in the green shelf that are not on any guns)

Correct - we have winner!
(there's no prize but well done never-the-less)

BTW - the two AK-47 type bayonets are bring-backs that I acquired from my time in Iraq, along with some other items (Desert Storm).

The long Model 1905 bayonet has been reproduced in quantity; the repros are easily detectable closeup, but some are pretty good. Of course, they are made of stamped out soft steel, not the forged and tempered metal of the originals, which are scarce because millions were cut to 10" in the WWII period to make them compatible with the new 10" M1 bayonet.

The M1905 was originally made in the aftermath of the rod-bayonet fiasco. It was so long because the Krag rifle has a 10" bayonet and 30" barrel; with the M1903's 24 inch barrel, the only way to maintain the "reach" of the older rifle was to lengthen the bayonet. So the six inches removed from the barrel was added to the bayonet.

Did it make a difference in combat? Probably not. But the M1905 bayonet, originally issued with a polished bright blade, was reportedly quite intimidating in riot control situations.

Jim

Did it make a difference in combat? Probably not. But the M1905 bayonet, originally issued with a polished bright blade, was reportedly quite intimidating in riot control situations.

Absolutely: Just ask Douglas MacArthur...

M39 Bayonet

I got that one from Empire Arms a year or so ago.
They were up front and stating it was a reproduction.
IMHO - One of the finest reproduction bayonets made - damn good quality! :cool:
Besides a original M39 bayonet cost big bucks - more than I wanted to spend.

I cant spot the repro on any of them, in fact without being able to carefully inspect it I likely couldnt tell.
I only wanted to comment that I am envious that you have so many rifles with a blade. I wish all my rifles had a blade. Takes a rifle with a cool factory of 3 or 4 and makes it an 8-9.
I need to take some pics.

BoogieMan - Thanks it wasn't easy (or cheap)

IMHO - A C&R gun needs to accessories (besides ammo) a sling and a bayo.

I think that military rifles and bayonets go together like peanut butter and jelly. I try to have the correct, original bayonet for all my rifles that take them. There are a few holes in the collection, but by in large I have one for every rifle in my collection.

I am just sick enough to have bought a particular just rifle because I already had the bayonet.

Back