Can you shoot 45acp thru a 45LC barrel?

Tall Pine

I'm obviously a newb to cowboy guns. I am looking to buy a either the Cimarron P, Uberti Millenium/Cattleman, or the Ruger Vaquero (all in 45LC). Will these guns shoot the 45acp factory loads (WWB) with no damage to me or the gun? :eek:

Why do I ask? Just curious, wanting to know if such versatility exists. Thanks.

Not unless you have an extra cylinder in 45acp for it. The reason is the acp has a rebated rim and would move back and forth in the chamber without support.

Sundance44s

Somewhere i saw some little C clips that clip in the rim of a 45acp shell so it doesn`t drop through a revolver cylinder ... looked like a lot of trouble to me .

Those would not work for ACP in a .45 Colt cylinder. The combined thickness of the half-moon-clip and the rim of the ACP is greater than that of the .45 Colt rim.

Those clips for .45 ACP are for double action revolvers. Since the .45 ACP doesn't have a rim, a double action's ejector wouldn't be able to grip them and push them out without that extra clip.

For Colt-Ruger style single actions, you push the empties out from the front with an ejector rod. That works fine, whether the cartridge has a rim or not. So no clips needed.

With the .45 Colt or other revolver cartridges, the case headspaces on the rim. The .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, in automatic pistols, and does the same in single action revolvers.

Most of your double action .45 ACP revolvers also have a step cut into the chamber, upon which the cartridge can headspace if you don't have clips. Some of the early Colt Model 1917 military revolvers didn't, so they won't work at all if you don't have the clips.

Back