Can you recommend any Youtube tutorials that...

Pond James Pond

... actually give good shooting advice?

I am looking for any videos with sound advice on how to lie whilst shooting rifles prone.

I am sure I can find hundreds online, but if I don't know which is the best technique, how do I know the video is not feeding me nonsense?

So, any vids that you feel give good tips on how to lie correctly?

My collar-bone will thank you once the haematoma has receded...

For "pretty good",you can find the old US Army WW2 marksmanship training videos on youtube,however

They teach an old school belly on the ground prone.It is generally accepted that the "Estonian Prone" position is better,where the shooter's slung arm side is in contact with the ground ...

If you have any Estonians walking around....

kraigwy's suggestion will get you there.

It would be a good idea to have a serious partner .A coach can see you better than you can see yourself.

If you have any Estonians walking around....

Yeah, right!

Where the heck do you think this is?!

Estonia?!

Oh wait....

No but really, the problem I then have is how do I know the guy offering pointers for a fee is not an armchair expert?

My knowledge is such that I have no way of gauging if imparted advice is good or not and I probably have enough bad habits stacked already!!

This gives a decent overview of the evolution of the prone position, and how the Estonians fit in: :D

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=745

For shooting iron sights with a sling, I shoot what the article calls the "modern American variation".

For prone shooting a scoped rifle from a bipod or off a rest, my position is similar to "The Russian ‘flounder’ position" much more in a line behind the rifle. I have found that (in my experience) I can absorb and recover from recoil better, and generally see my hits through the scope.

Without the sling, my left hand is under the butt, usually holding a small sandbag as a rear rest, but occasionally I rest the butt on my fist.

Typical...

It seems that what I adopted when I did my first OCW batch with my Amax loads, way back in March or so, was a sort of Estonian prone.

The one guy whom I have met that I could conceivably go to ask for shooting advice, he advocated what I now know to be the Russian Flounder position.

So, he knowing more than I, I took his advice when doing my OCW batches for Hornady FMJs and Lapua Scenars. Guess what... I floundered!

I am pretty sure that my previous position was more efficient and definitely more comfortable and my recent shooting groups left a lot to be desired: I find it hard to believe that the 155gr Scenar is not as accurate as the Amax and no better than the Hornady FMJ...

:mad: Annoying.

Lesson learnt: when in doubt, trust what feels right!

This is not precisely what you asked for,but it is useful.
http://youtu.be/8rLfYLM48Ms

Nice link, actually.

It does help. If nothing else one bit at the beginning was a point to remember: the position is a luxury!

In fact I have only practiced seated and prone. I should try some others once I have my loads sorted as if I ever get my hunting licence I may not have the choice of how to shoot... If I do, the two I have practiced are probably way down the order of likelihood.

On a side noted I stopped counting "Would you agree?" in that video after breaking the 500 mark....:D

Back