Can you recommend a cleaning kit?

Mokumbear

Waiting on the arrival of my Zastava N PAP, AK variant.

Can you recommend a suitable cleaning kit?

I searched the web but didn't come up with very good results.

BTW, is it best to leave the rifle with as little CLP as possible after cleaning?

Non-caliber/firearm specific... A basic Otis kit works well.

I prefer slip 2000 CLP...

For moving parts, most firearms like a light coat of oil that is visible on the parts. I actually prefer a light grease for sliding parts though.

To protect metal parts, wipe down with a rag or patch with a little oil in it. Then lightly wipe it off with another rag. It should look mostly dry, but still have a little oil on it.

I don't use kit. Just a boresnake, CLP, a chamber brush, and Hoppes bore cleaner. I keep the bolt and carrier pretty wet.

MPro7 is a good odor free substitute for Hoppes #9. Either witha good quality rod, jag, and bronze bush; together with cotton patches are about all you need for cleaning. Lube / oil is a matter of choice.

MPro7 is a good odor free substitute for Hoppes #9

+1000 for the MPro7. I'm a recent convert.

It works better than Hoppes #9, cleans up better, and, since it is practically odorless, doesn't end up with my wife yelling at me for making the house smell like over-ripe bananas.

Agree with odugrad, Hoppes does indeed smell great. Sadly my wife doesn't agree so I use MPro7 most of the time, reserving Hoppes for soaking my choke tubes.

A lubed caliber-specific barrel snake pulled from the chamber side of the barrel, a can of Ballistol, a good silicon oiled rag, and a spray can of Barricade. A full knowledge of how to take your firearm apart minimally and extended, a bit of patience to do it right, and a good sized, clean kitchen towel that remains part of your kit.

Well, since I have been away for awhile, I might as well remind folks, and educate new folks as to why I am known a rebel.

First off:
Yes, there is a reason to have gun cleaning materials.

Second: I personally feel most folks over-clean firearms.

Third: Yes not only do I carry CCW a dirty gun, I also use dirty guns for farm/home/hunting.

Fourth: I'd kill to have another USGI issued, section rod kit, in a black/olive drab green canvas pouch. Yeah, this is a <gasp> section rod kit.
And, a quality rod for .17 HMR.

While I am sure some may have questions, or question my thoughts...I am open to reply/ responding later..

Folks, I am on near 90 acres of farm, and since the barns have been opened, again today, and some critter has gotten into lines...I have a ground-hog, and I am pretty sure I am smelling tractor/equipment fluid on his breath being downwind...

Excuse me, but I have to snag the Savage .17 HMR with Hornady
V-Max and take care of property duty.

**** down the barrel and follow it with ether to evaporate the water or just use a ram rod or shoestring method.

Whether purchased in kit or piece-part form, I'm a big fan of the bore-snake, Breakfree CLP, oil, and toothbrush (for brushing out powdered detritus in other parts of the internals). Ballistol makes a good general purpose CLP though mild and thus requiring some patience. Mobil 1 oils and greases are fine for lubing parts of the gun without paying the exorbitant prices that 'gun oils' command. Otis makes some good kits with boresnakes or cable cleaners.
It is inevitable though that you will quickly transition from a few cleaning bits and pieces to many of them and then see that number shrink back down as you decide what works best for you.
B

I don't use kit. Just a boresnake, CLP, a chamber brush, and Hoppes bore cleaner. I keep the bolt and carrier pretty wet.

A boresnake is a great little tool. A boresnake does not replace a good cleaning rod.

You can't tap out a squib load'ed bullet with a boresnake.

You can scrub the bajeezus out of a barrel a whole lot easier with a rod and nylon brush.

There are multiple levels of clean, and multiple levels of cleaning Both have their uses and place.

Quick trip to the range? Great opportunity for a boresnake. Just get back from 2 weeks of the rainiest hunting trip you've ever been on? Better opportunity for a "deep clean" with breakdown, stripping, scrubbing, and oiling.

Back