Can you purchase a gun outside your state?

ninja92

Inactive
I have been told conficting stories by friends and even dealers. I am currently working a contract in South Carolina but my home state is Tennessee. Where can I purchase what?

Since giving legal advice over the internet is a bad idea, I suggest you contact your state rifle and pistol association for advice.

ninja, according to http://www.tennesseefirearms.com background checks must be run in your home state as well as the state you wish to purchase the gun in. this is for non ffl's buying from ffl's. i also have been told this from local dealers.

hope this helps
bauldy

Ninja; I am in the process of doing just that. A fellow in Cedar Rapids, IA, had a 1911 he put up for sale. I contacted him, we agreed on a price. I sent him a certified check, he took the pistol to an IA FFL holder.

This FFL holder sent my (by now) pistol to a CA FFL holder, who took down all the info exactly as if I were purchasing a pistol from the stock of the CA FFL holder. I am waiting for the customary 15 days, and then will pick up my pistol.

The usual fee for this is about $10-$20, and it is perfectly legal. Walt Welch

Back