Can you make an M1 or an M1A lighter?

You can drop a few pounds by changing the stock to a Ram Line synthetic. I get a lot of snickers from the purists who think all M1 stocks should be wood or cost hundreds of dollars. My rifle is fun to shoot and the recoil pad helps when you shoot a hundred rounds in a day at the range. I also changed the sling to a "Super Sling" by using the Williams quick change adapter made for the Mini 14 front band. Hey, it works for me...Good luck

If you were thinking to retain the original appearance of the wooded stock, you might pull off the butt plate, and taking care to not eat into the space where the butt plate screws seat, you might get a large diameter drill and hog out some of the wood that is in the buttstock. Don't know what amount this would change the weight - but it would lighten the weapon a bit. This will alter the balance of the piece though, and make it muzzle heavy. Another thing is that by making the weapon lighter, felt recoil will increase - and whereas this wouldn't really bother me too much, I can't speak for anyone else. Hope that this helps.
Unkel Gilbey

Hollowing out the stock, as has been suggested would lighten either rifle a little, as might changing to a synthetic stock, BUT for any given caliber, a lighter rifle recoils harder.

Neither of the two rifles mentioned, given what they were designed for, are overly heavy, IMO.

You could remove the trigger group
biggrin.gif

A lightweight version of the M1/M14/M1A service rifle has been done. It's called the M16/AR15.

What do you mean this ISN'T the sniping thread? It is now! VBEG ( couldn't resist the opportunity )

[This message has been edited by Rusty S (edited March 30, 2000).]

An M14 lighter?
I once made a lamp out of an old, beat up Mauser, so I guess anything is possible. Finding the right wick and a sparker assembly will be tough, but diligence in searching will ultimately pay off.
It seems a bit heavy to carry around though, perhaps the m14 lighter is intended as a table top conversation piece?

Tongue firmly in cheek, I remain
Mad Dog

Mad, I think he meant lighter to carry.

The best solution is to hire a gunbearer. Children and spouses can also serve, but I find that the little ones really complain about the weight.
biggrin.gif

I *think* Schmit posted some pics of his children in training a couple of months ago.
wink.gif

Giz

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited March 30, 2000).]

Like Uncle Gilbey suggested, a lightweight synthetic stock would lighten it considerably. Also getting rid of the bayonet lug and flash suppressor lightens it. Nylon sling in lieu of M1907 leather sling. You can also remove the clip charger guide (and it's roll pin) for less weight. Shorter 5 or 10 round magazine. I wouldn't touch anything else.

So Mad dog, was the on/off switch on your Mauser light ( sounds like an americanized german pilsner ) the safety or the bolt?

hahaha...you guys are a riot.

i figured a new stock was the best way, just thought i'd pass it around the board for additional insight.

Just fire the thing until the magazine is empty. Shazam! Your rifle is now lighter.
smile.gif

I do like the idea of skeletonizing the furniture. Maybe the in the forestock and barrel shroud area? This would also help barrel cooling.

If your after a light Garand you might like to take a look at the Garand carbines which I think are called Tanker Garands. My father had one of these a few years ago and it was reliable enough. It's still heavy, but definately lighter than a full size model.

Back