Can you identify these guns?

hknut

Gun #1 is a break action like the S&W Scofield. Caliber is .38S&W. there are no markings except the serial number which is 101XX.

Gun #2 is marked model 1900, with no other markings. I can't even find a serial number anywhere.

Any help, would be put to good use. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Break bfw.jpg
    Break bfw.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 1900.jpg
    1900.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 186
Usually the top breaks have the data on the top rib. I have not consulted any books but the top break resembles an Iver Johnson and the lower one resembles a U.S. Arms. The logo on the grips should be a clue. In the condition that appears in the photos, probably not worth very much exept as conversation pieces. Lot of the inexpensive revolvers made from 1870's to late 1920's resemble each other very closely. Would not fire or attempt to do anything like that with them unless they were in pristine condition and tight. Even then some are not safe except with black powder cartridges. Smokeless proofed ones will work with the commercial ammo with the lead bullets and rather cautious( they know someone will fire some in weak guns) loads that don't develop very high MV. I would not risk my fingers firing either one.

They're both Iver Johnson. Top one is a safety hammerless. U.S. Revolver was a trade name used by Iver Johnson for their cheaper grade. Those had U.S. on the grips instead of the owl head. Serial numbers weren't required in the U.S. until 1968.

Thanks for the info guys. The top break has no info anywhere. Except the serial number. And the oppsite is true for the Double action it has the model with no Serial number. I will start looking for abook with Iver's in it.

I recently resurrected another example of the Iver Johnson top-break you posted. It is a relatively easy pistol to work on.

If you have any stiffness or jamming while opening and closing it, check the internal cam at the hinge point. It is prone to wear, and skipping over the ejector rod.

Everything else is easy to figure out.

Back