Can you ID this, please?

spraynbuckshot

I got this tear gas "pen" a number of years back when I was helping clean out a friend's grandmother's house (past away). Can you tell me anything about it? When was it made? Is it legal to posess? Common? Value?

DSCF0498.jpg

DSCF0499.jpg

DSCF0500.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

Thanks for any help!

That was fast. It took you less than 15 minutes to find more than I have in 3weeks! I have googled for info on this and haven't found anything yet. Keep the info coming!!

Thanks

nice tear gas pen.

i had something similar it wasn't marked COLT but was for firing penguin flares. i wonder if the launcher you have there will too. i think the flares and possibly the launchers are hard to find. thanks to people making penguns.

Yeah that looks like what I have. thanks again!
No problem, I still haven't found anything on the years this was produced, but maybe you could shoot an e-mail to Colt. They're usually pretty good about helping identify their products, couldn't hurt to try.

Enjoy the little collectors piece:)

I tried colt's Customer Service number and they said they could look up some information for a fee. I said yikes and no way! It was a great idea. I am going to take it around to a couple gun shops today to see if they know anything.

Good idea, I would pay for info either, didn't know they charged for that now. You're bound to run into someone who knows more about history on Colt items than I do. Good luck with your search for the manufacture date range and value. :) Edit: make that wouldn't...not would. duh

Last edited:
I haven't tried it to see if it works. The spring looks and compresses as if it is brand new. The tear gas cartridges seem like they are fine. The primer still shines brightly.

I would try it if I knew I could get more cartridges.

I brought it to several shops in the area. Most where clueless on what it was.

Colt marketed those tear gas guns but they didn't make them. IIRC, they were made by Penguin. Still, an interesting piece of "Coltiana."

Jim

After colt made a HUGE fortune selling ARs to the goverment they went wacko in the late 1960s and ONE CRAZY thing they did was they invested in pyrodynamics. They made those pens from late 1960s till early 1970s. They fire flares,tear gas rounds of a few types and some other special use rounds.

These versions that do not fire "fixed ammo" like yours are legal to own without a tax stamp or any other aow type problems. They sell in the real world for 50.00 to 150.00 ....Depends a lot on knowledge of buyer.

Colt/pyrodynamics also made the CIA issue explosive .22lr ,teleshot and other odd items.

I have a pile of pics of these devices.

Colt Tear Gas rounds

Hey, you found the gun that I've been looking for, for the packs of rounds that I bought at auction, maybe 20 years ago. I'm not sure where the Tear Gas rounds are now. I'll seriously look for them if you're interested. I don't have alot of 'em. I have absolutly no use for them now

That is very similar to the penguns that shoot flares. USAF pilots and crewmembers have them in their survival kits. The ammo looks a little bigger than the flares for those, but it works on the exact same idea. If it will shoot the flares, and you have a safe place to do so, I say try it out. It's pretty fun.

I recognized that real quick.

Ms. Iva lea Birchfield carried one of those ALL the time...just in case. When I was 15 I worked with her. I told her to get a real gun. She never listened to me...about anything. :D

Mark.

ps: Felt I could use her name...I think she died about 30 yrs ago.

i have the same thing

i also have a Colt tear gas pen, that i inherited (as well as a Colt .380 special, and U.S. army S&W .45 revolver) from my father who worked for colt. I was wondering if any one knew where I can buy any flare or CS tear gas refills. i'd like to be able to test it, to see how it works, the size of the cloud, effective distance of cloud, etc. etc., before I even think about giving it to my girlfriend for protection. and the flares would be very useful on my small sail boat.

thanks,

I have been looking for info on this gun as well. My dad gave one to me before he passed. He got it from his mother. I have one tear gas container and one flare. And I have also shot 25 caliber bullets from it. I have always wondered what the value was.

Back