Can you ID this O/U derringer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmady

It might not even be a real gun because they also used a starter pistol for a prop.

It's from a 1965 movie called The 10th Victim, so the BJT aka BTJ and later American Derringer DA38 derringers are all out of the running.

It resembles the DA38 more than anything else I know of, but that isn't it.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• The 10th Victim 1965.jpg
    The 10th Victim 1965.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 195
Seen that somewhere. No idea where. One of the assorted annuals, I think. Everybody and his brother made stuff like that in the old days.

Bond arms offered a removable trigger guard. Cobra under the
Cimarron name makes a trigger guard derringer ( removable ), in fact your picture looks like a Cobra.

Last edited:
Bond Arms was founded in 1995 according to wiki.

I've been thinking prop gun all along because it looks like it has slide serrations, and it does have a lower front hinge for the barrels to flip up and forward. Kinda weird.

COP ?

Wasn't there a 357 mg built around that time? I think it was a C.O.P.
I don't know the manufacture, think it was made in USA.

It looks a lot like it was built on an old Beretta M 1923.
That's a pretty distinctive hump.

Did you happen to view the trailer?

They also have the obligatory P38 (everybody in the 1960's used the P38) and what looks like a chrome plated Broomhandle!

The H-S was never made in any caliber other than .22, either .22 LR or .22 WMR. In spite of some distractions in the picture, I think that gun is at least .38.

Jim

I recall that there was a 38 spl version of that HS gun that BTJ made for High Standard. It was then sold to American Derringer but they folded.

A lot of movie guns are pure dummies, their features limited only by the imagination of a model maker. In 1965, if a gun was to be fired, it pretty much had to function at some level, even though the sound of the shot could be dubbed in. Today. both the sound and the muzzle flash often are added to the digital master, and the gun can be totally deactivated or a complete dummy. That keeps the insurance companies and lawyers happy, knowing that some doofus actor won't use a blank cartridge to make himself more brainless than usual.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back