Can you ID this action?

Hello, new member here. My father passed away and I inherited his hunting rifle. It’s a custom rifle he and my uncle had made, and my uncle hand loaded the rounds. It has a 30-338 stamped barrel and the rounds are wildcat 30-338 with 338 WinMag brass. My uncle has also passed so there’s no one to ask.

I do not see any readily visible Manufacturers marks on the action; there might be something under the scope mount but I don’t want to remove the scope if I don’t have to.

Can anyone tell me what type of action this is? It has a two position safety on the right side, and a bolt release switch on the left side which is stamped “ON” on one side and “OFF” on the other. The magazine is spring loaded and releases through the bottom.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• 2D77B59B-0F12-42AE-9F80-2BAE695BDD0C.jpeg
    2D77B59B-0F12-42AE-9F80-2BAE695BDD0C.jpeg
    923.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 179AA0E8-D72B-4F3A-8CD6-2B4A5E0E2D2B.jpeg
    179AA0E8-D72B-4F3A-8CD6-2B4A5E0E2D2B.jpeg
    909 KB · Views: 101
It is a 1903 Springfield action. The bolt handle has been modified for scope use, the safety has been replaced with a "scope safety". if its .30-338 then the bolt face and magazine have been modified, as well.

The "on/off" switch is the magazine cutoff, which also functions as a bolt release in the middle position.

The information identifying the action will be underneath the forward scope mount base.

Because of the un-reversible changed done to make the rifle a fine sporting arm, it has zero value to military collectors.

Hope this helps..

I agree 1903, bolt mod & scope safety. 30-338. I would guess it more of a 338-06. Does it use a belted case? How about dies?

1903A3, therefore Remington or Smith Corona.
Hopefully not Santa Fe or National Ordnance. Might even be a Rock Island, but doubtful. The OP wont know until he pulls the front scope base.

Geez, I forgot the Santa Fe or Nat Ord.
Was there a fake A3 maker calling itself Rock Island? Real US Army Rock Island Arsenal never made A3s.

Gentlemen, thank you very much! I’m not interested in it for collection value, I would just like to enjoy a memento from my father. I’m thinking I may send it to a gunsmith just to check it out before I send a lot of rounds downrange and if I do that, I will remove the scope and confirm.

At any rate, I recently retired and intend to shoot a lot more, rifle, pistol, shotgun and bow. Looks like I will need to start reloading...

Thanks!!!

Back