Can you give me any information about this rifle?

Daren Thompson

I have a good friend who was given this rifle. He just wants to know some information about it if possible. It is a .22 long or short, bolt action single shot rifle. The rifle appears to be a child's rifle as the stock is short. No serial number. The only marking I can find are BELKNAP HDWE&MFG LOUISVILLE, KY

The rear of the rifle has ESSEX written on it in large letters.

Thanks in advance
Daren

Hi, Daren,

Belknap is (was?) a hardware chain. They did not make any guns, but like many chains like Western Auto, Sears and Montgomery Ward, they bought enough to get the actual maker to put their name on the guns.

Most Belknap guns were made by Savage/Stevens/Springfield (not the government facility or the current maker of military type arms). None of these guns were high priced, although most were rugged and serviceable.

There should be a model number on the gun. There is currently an Essex company, but they make pistols, and I doubt there is any connection with the name on your gun. If the marking is on the buttplate, it could be the actual maker or simply a replacement buttplate.

Jim

The name ESSEX is on the reciever. The gun is in real poor shape. I do not see any model number on it in any place. Thanks for the info

Later
Daren

Essex may have been the maker, but I don't have any listing of an Essex making that kind of gun or being active in that time frame. Sorry.

Jim

Back