can you dry-fire an HK USPc ?

MusHraeddur

i was wondering if there is any damaging effects to dry-firing my HK USPc .40. anyone out there know if this is a good or bad thing to do? i ask because i'd like to practice pulling the double action trigger without spending a ton of money on ammo.

Or you can be seriously cheap and drop a foam ear plug between the hammer and the firing pin and fire away! I have heard that even the snap caps don't last all that long. Quite a few ways to skin this cat.

The firing pin slamming home against nothing, will cause eventual damage. There is nothing there to absorb its blow, making it and its moving parts, weaker. I don't even send the slide home on an empty chamber without guiding it home.

Snap caps are identical to a live round, without the powder, or solid round. The ones I have, have a blue plastic tip.

JJC

I buy the Pachmayr snap caps -- they are translucent with a spring shock absorber inside. They seem to take a lot of punishment (I dry fire a lot)

They are 2 bucks a piece though.

"I don't even send the slide home on an empty chamber without guiding it home."

Yes, you shouldn't just trip the slide release on an empty chamber. You should always guide the slide back on an empty chamber (an oft overlooked precaution against wear and breakage). Good point.

Back