Can you convert Shockwave to full size shotgun?

Chances are you can fit a full sized stock and barrel, BUT and that is a big BUT.

The pistol grip and barrel go with the gun (receiver), that pistol grip and 14 inch barrel were fitted to the receiver at the factory. You can not fit the pistol grip and barrel to
another receiver.
Also your state may have laws about short barreled shotguns.

I cannot speak for the legality of such a conversion, but mechanically speaking, sure. It's a Mossberg and should accept any Mossberg stock or barrel as long as the mag tube is compatible.

I don't understand the confusion.

I am asking if someone picked up a $20 stock and a normal sized 590 barrel, could you essentially have an off the rack Mossberg 590 by converting the Shockwave.

Why? Cause the cost would be minimal if possible/legal.

I understand that the Shockwave is in kind of a gap in the regulations.
If you put a regular stock and barrel on it, you have a regular shotgun.
I am not sure that it would be legal to return it to the short form, that MIGHT be considered building a SBS. I think Thompson Center had to get an exemption to allow back and forth exchanges between pistol and rifle configurations of Contenders.
I don't know but you should find out before swapping parts.

Only issue would be where the take down screw assembly is located. Isn't in the same place on longer barrels.
The Shockwave is about as useless as useless gets anyway. Any shotgun with no stock is a Hollywood inspired marketing toy.

I think you're going to run into the issue of putting a stock on a pistol and therefore shouldering it to shoot would become "illegal" or whatever those Ar15 pistol guys with sig arm braces have been saying for a while.

But since most people expect to see a stock on a shotgun nobody would suspect that it's really a pistol. I'm sure there's a marking on it that identifies it as a pistol even if it's a variation of like how the Mossberg 500A/500B... could even be 590P. Then you have to worry if the tube and barrel connection are the in the same spot as the 590.

Sounds like a waste of money building a pistol into a shotgun unless you have a free barrel and stock sitting around. And maybe some legal council.

Now- here's the real answer-
Yes-you can convert a Shockwave to a full-sized shotgun.
However, you CAN NOT convert that full-sized shotgun back to Shockwave configuration. The Shockwave and similar guns are not "pistols," they are "firearms."
The criteria for the "firearm" designation requires that the receiver never had a full-length stock attached.
You can, however convert the gun to standard 18" bbl. & 26" OAL configuration.

Back