Can you bump up a bullet by .001"?

BJung

I want to bump up a .311 Barnes bullet to .312? Can it be done? Can I PC it up by .001". From my experience, .312" bullets shoots through my rifle better than .311"

Well, if you wanted to electroplate copper on them I’m pretty sure that’s doable but depending on where you put the electrodes it won’t grow exactly evenly on the surface. Plenty of home electroplating videos out there for various items though I’ve never seen on me for bullets (not have I looked).

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

If it was a lead core bullet I would say it would be easier than with all copper but since copper is also malleable, as stated with a swage it would probably work. The problem is will the results be worth the cost? Bullets bump up to bore size upon firing in general.

I know people upset cast bullets to larger diameters using a press and a next size bigger sizing die. I think this assumes the bullet is not too hard and alloy, though. A Barnes solid would require a lot of force and possibly need nose and base form-fitting dies to prevent bad distortion. I think the idea of experimenting with electroplating is more likely to prove fruitful.

How do you swage something to make it larger?
In bullet making the act of swaging increases diameter, drawing reduces diameter. If it is a lead core bullet I can see getting another .001". Corbin makes presses and tools that can handle about any job. Although I am not sure you could really get that from any point forming die.

I missed the fact that this is a barnes bullet. If it's monolithic the press and dies you would need to do a good job will cost far more money than replacing your bullet supply.

Buying a manual setup and learning how to make your own bullets by the process of swaging would be an interesting venture, but costly. For that reason, I would agree with Unclenick.
Plate the bullets to add diameter and the run them through a drawing die to reduce the diameter to whatever you choose.

I've slugged my barrel and the groove to groove measurement is .31105" and the Barnes is advertised as .311. The initial test load tests was not as good as those shot with the .312" Hornady. Speer .311 bullets did not perform as well either. Any other suggestions?

Back