can you advise a very cheap red/green dot?

ag3nt

just bought an m&p15-22 fun range gun but the stock sights are terrible at the range, has a rail that looks like it can take anything, i wanna order online open it and literally put it on there -no other steps like setting up a mount... under $40 would be nice- if thats even possible.. im new to rifles so thank you in advance

BSA, NcStar and Tasco might work Ok. I had one Tasco working well, but another that shifted zero when selecting different reticles. You needed to choose which selectable reticle you wanted and just stick with that one. The selector knob has some slop in it and you could see the reticle move up & down with a bit of rotation of the knob. The BSA low cost dot I had worked fine. I didn't try the NcStar, but these are in that "lower cost" ballpark. Maybe closer to $40 to $50 or so instead of $30.

I've got a Tru-Glo 2X Reddot on my S&W MP 15-22 that has stood the test of time. Saw it yesterday at $99 at Cabalas, I've got it at Dick's for $70 before.

I have a Bushnell Trophy red (for day light) / green (for low light) 1X scope on my S&W MP-15 .22, and it was the best $189 I ever spent. You can find a better price than I paid too if you shop around. Great scope for the money, looks cool too. This thing is deadly on tin cans at the gravel pit. I keep a loaded clip ready now, in case a varmint gets in my trash!!!

I tried to upload a pic, but it won't work...still!

Last edited:
I had the $40 Tasco on a Mini for a while, and it held up. The dot is pretty huge, but you're gonna have that in any red dot for that price.

Sorry, $40 is a waste of money. I've tried some at $100+ that were a waste of money. Virtually impossible to zero. Wouldn't hold zero. Dots that covered 3" of the target at 50 yards. While trying to zero I'd be 2" high and 3" left. Move the adjustments down and to the right the next group would be 4" high and 10" right. Took that junk off and chunked it in the trash.

The least expensive red dot I've found that actually works is the Vortex SPARC at $200. While that ain't cheap, it is about the same price as a decent budget scope. It holds it zero and the dot is small enough to allow 2" groups at 100 yards. Adjustments were accurate and it dialed in with a minimum of effort.

I have the same rifle BTW. I'm using one of the Redfield 2-7X32's on it. Shoots great.

To clarify, I've had the low cost BSA dot, and it worked well. But for my particular case, my interest was a tiny pinpoint target down range. The size of the dot on the BSA, for me, down range, covered over the intended target.
Depending on the size of the target, the low cost BSA can be just fine or perhaps not. The Nikon product that I kept, has a much smaller and well formed dot. It's easy to see the aim point on the target instead of having the dot obscure it. Some low cost dots can be sort of poorly formed blobs, but higher cost dots can be well shaped and sharp.

Back