Can ya all recommend me some scopes?

twoblink

I'm about to buy a Ruger 10/22 Rifle, and so my question was, can you guys recommend me some scopes?

Keeping in mind that the gun is about $200, so a $400 scope on a $200 gun probably isn't going to fly, but give me some links and recommendations.

Also, do any of you have the Hogue Grips on the Ruger 10/22? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks,
Albert

twoblink-My rule of thumb is to acquire as much scope as I can afford. Most of the time it ends up being how much I'm willing to spend. That being said, I will tell you that on my 10/22's I have the following scopes:

Redfield 3x9 Partner
Bushnell fixed 4x
Weaver K4
Simmons Pro Hunter fixed 4x

I understand your point about spending more on the scope that what you did on the rifle. I wait until my wallet and my rationale meet on a quality scope at a resonable price. The Simmons is definately on the low end of the spectrum for lens quality and brightness, but I got that on a trade and have nothing into it. Hope this helps.

Steve

twoblink,
Not unusual for your glass to cost half or even as much as your steel. My 10/22 Stainless International sports a Leopold Vari-X II 3-9 power scope. The scope cost at least as much as the rifle in this case.

I have seen Bushnell 3x9 power variables for sale for $39.99 in a couple different Sport Shops.
That would make a good companion for a 10-22.

Keeping away from the high end scopes, I would go with a Weaver. You can get a variable for about $100 and a 4 power for less. These scopes are very clear, and rugged.I had one on my 7mm. STW, and it worked fine. I stuck it on a .308 and got a bigger one ( 4-16x42) for the STW. I know they are made in Japan, but they are of better quality than one from China or Tiawan... Which is where most Tasco's and Simmons are made.
CJB

I have a leupold 4X12 on my 10/22. The scope was twice as much as the gun. I you can afford it who cares how much you spend on the scope. The one thing you should do is either buy a scope made for .22 rimfires or get a scope with an adjustable objective. Most .22 will not perform their best with regular one inch scopes due to their paralax being set at 100 or even 200 yards. With these scopes it a problem when you shoot at 50 yards with a .22.

I just got a simmons from Natchez for $45. It is the 22mag model and is 3-9 power. It's not the greatest scope out there but the local squirrel population doesn't know that. I went from consistantly hitting them to consitantly making head shots.
BTW the first one I had was the silver one for my stainless 10/22, it looked cheesy so I exchanged it for the black. It was good choice.
Scratch

If you get a Luepold, they will adjust the parallex back to 60 yds for free. You need this on a 22.
They have a truely tremendous selection of models from which to choose and these are qaulity products. If you later want to use the scope on a bigger rifle, you just send it back to them and have them reset the parallex to the appropriate distance. It makes a lot of sense to look at Luepold if you are buying a scope for a 22.
You don't see many used though. People tend to hang on to them.

I don't know it this helps or not, but my next scope purchase is going to be a Nikon Monarch... Very impressed... $350.

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Twoblink:

I have used Leupold for ever and years ago some Redfield.

Today its Leupold and Nikon for me.

The price of the glass should be all you can afford. Remember...you have got to see it to shoot it......

I really like these new Nikons.

Huntschool

Back