• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Can we ban signatures?

Ban signatures?

• Get rid of them like the Million Morons

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Keep them like a beloved 870

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

part swede

Anyone else notice how obtrusive and pointless signatures are? If I want a bunch of off-topic bytes I can go to someone's profile. I suggest disabling them.

You can turn them off for just yourself if you don't want to see them. usercp->edit_options->thread_view_options->show user's signature...

IMO, signatures should be no more than a line or two of text, or a link.

What kills me is when someone posts a one-sentence (or one word) reply to a thread and has three paragraphs of signature to go along with it! :rolleyes:

Doesn't bother me. BIG ones bother me a bit, but not so much I'm in banning mode.

I've gone to a tiny font and it keeps it out of the way. They're kind of like putting up a picture in your cubicle. You do what you can do to make it a little more personal, right?

- Gabe

I really like the vbscript font=1 deal though. Maybe Rich could post a floating message suggesting that people do that do decrease scroll? It would help even more for frequent posters.

Some of the most profound statements are made in the sig lines. I like em'. No biggie.

Forgive them Rich, they know not what they say. They've obviously just had a bad day.:D

Mostly I dislike the idea of a total BAN on anything - - -

- - -But I'm in sympathy with Blues Man:
"What kills me is when someone posts a one-sentence (or one word) reply to a thread and has three paragraphs of signature to go along with it!"

Some of 'em sure waste a BUNCH of band width. I propose strongly discouraging any sig of more than three lines--Unless a quote from R. A. Heinlein or W. S. Churchill. ;)

Best,
Johnny Guest

Erg, don't ban 'em, but I suggest using them with

some discretion... Why not only click "show signature" when you are posting a new thread, or if you are posting after having not used your sig for a week, or other, "once in a blue moon" situations? I would guess that I add the sig once every third post, and never if I've already used the sig during that thread.

Just part of being thoughtful about what you are saying... trying to add some value, not just spout off.

-Jorah

PS: Maybe the "show signature" select box should be deselected by default, meaning you'd have to make a slight extra effort to add it?

Back