Can Walther P99 handle +P

HKUSP45C

Hi
Its me on Walther P99 again. I read the manual on the Walther P99 and it said nothing about handling +p ammo.
So the question is, is the Walther P99 rated to handle a steady diet of +P ammo? Will it damage the pistol if I were to lets say, shoot 300 rounds of +P ammo?
ST

I cannot speak with total authority on this matter, but if your P99 cannot handle +P ammo on steady diet I'd be highly surprised. Most European amoo is pressure tested slightly differently than the American manufactures do and this results in their ammo typically running slightly hotter than U.S. ammo. In addition, I'm almost certain that a pistol like the P99 was designed to handle NATO spec ammo which can run at a maximum pressure of 42,000 psi as compared to SAAMI spec'd +P at 37,000 psi (or thereabouts). Either way European NATO fodder is often hotter than U.S. +P ammo. Most gun makes don't specify use of +P ammo in their manuals just like reloads because they don't want the liability of a wide variety of out of spec ammo causing warranty repairs. If in doubt call Walther. Shooting hotter ammo will wear the pistol faster however.

JMO

SS

My dealer loves the Walther 99. His only complaint is that it is not rated for +P. I took him at his word and bought a Glock 19. This was a year ago however and maybe things have changed.

In the Walther P99 brochure I have they say that some 250.000 rounds of +P ammo was used in their "endurance test". (No, they do not specify if this was with one or many guns. :) ) Also, when the P99 was first released, I remember there being complaints about the weaker U.S. ammo not working correctly because the gun was designed for the more powerful European stuff. People had to order a weaker recoil spring from the company importing P99s (IIRC the recoil spring was free?). Now suddenly people are worried about the gun functioning with said more powerful ammo. Weird.

I say fire away. (If you're sceptical, try comparing the specs on standard European ammo to that of your +P ammo?)

Back