Can U tell me anything about this rifle?

Daren Thompson

A friend recently gave me a rifle. It is an Enfield No 4

MK I*
Long Branch 1943

The letters on the end of the barrel are 303 CAN CAI ST ALB UI

Would this rifle have seen service in WWII, it is a rough gun and I would like to purchase a new original style stock with bayonett.It is also missing the magazine. I have not shot the rifle yet , but if the barrel is worn out is it hard to find a new one? Where would I find this stuff?

Thanks
Daren

You might also try Springfield Sporters, 2257 Springfield Rd., Penn Run, PA 15765, Phone 724 254 2626 (no web site).

They have new ($22) and used ($15) magazines, as well as stocks, but they don't list any new forearms. They also have bayonets and scabbards, as well as good used barrels ($20).

That No. 4 certainly was issued in WWII, and very likely was used in combat.

Jim

Ok, from what I can remember off the top of my head...

The No. 4 Mk I was the standard battle rifle for the British in WW II.

Because they didn't have production facilities to manufacture all that they needed, they had off-shore companies also make the gun.

Guns not made in Britain have the * designation.

Yours was made in Canada at the Longbranch arms factory.

Your gun MAY have seen service in WW II. Chances are good that it did, but there's no way to tell for sure.

The "CAN" marking means to me that it was imported into the US from Canada, likely meaning that it went to Canadian troops.

The "CAI ST ALB VI" is the importer's mark. In this case, Century Arms International, HQ'd in St. Albans, Vermont (it's a V, not a U), was the importer.

You may find that it will be cheaper to simply buy a nused (new used) No 4 Mk I than it is to fix up the one you have.

These guns are still readily available, and are still pretty cheap.

If you want a firing gun, be sure to avoid the ones that have soldered wire wrappings around the handguard. These were set up for firing rifle grenades, and the stocks can be pretty badly cracked.

Here is the deal I have shot this gun to see if it would fire. The groups were good. However two problems with the gun. First I have a manual on the way , but how do you adjust the sight for elevation. Second the reciever has some small burs on it and make the bolt hang a little when cycling the action. The burs are located on the right side of the gun on the slot made to remove the bolt. Sometimes if cycling the bolt fast the bolt face will jump up and come out of its groove. How can I try to fix this? If the reciever is worn down a little can I silver solder or weld and make new corners if needed? A new bolt?

Thanks
Daren

Darren,

From your description of the bolt problem, it sounds as if you might be missing a piece from the bolt.

The bolt should NOT jump out of the groove during cycling.

I suggest you have a gunsmith who is familiar with this gun take a look at it.

I agree with the last comment concerning the " bolt jumping out". That shouldn't happen. Your gun was mage in the Long Branch Factory in Etobicoke, Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 1943. There were many many made and they were widely distributed across the world during that time and since. If your gun is very rough I would also suggest simply repacing it as there are alot of them around. Your gun was distributed through century arms. I would not fire your rifle until checked by a gunsmith. ken DROVER Burlington, Ontario Canada

Back