Can u identify this set of grips?

kbatmast

Inactive
Need help identifying what frame these Colt grips are from. Before I sell them on eBay, I’d like to be able to describe them accurately. All I know, other than used, is: ‘walnut grips with black enamel, silver colt medallions’. Any further descriptions would be appreciated, and/or what Colt models/years would these fit on. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4153.JPG
    IMG_4153.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4155.JPG
    IMG_4155.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4159.JPG
    IMG_4159.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 69
They look like post-war Police Positive Special grips.
That was a Colt "D" frame model, like the Detective Special and Diamondback.
Probably from the 1950's era.
Later PPS revolvers had a rounded butt. The earlier version had the square butt like yours.

They will not fit the later "D" frame models that have the post-1966 "stubby" frame they will only fit the earlier full profile square butt Police Positive Special.

They've been refinished and possibly painted?? During that era the grips would have had a dull oiled plain walnut finish.

Thanks for quick response and good info. Regarding the painting, they have a black enamel on them that chips off easily. The silver medallions were partially covered in that enamel, but a fingernail took it right off. Looking at the backs you can see where there's drips of this black on the back panels. So yes, at some point these were likely painted. So I've got: post-war Police Positive Special Grips, D frame, full profile, square butt. Circa 1950's. Will not fit post-1966 "stubby" D frames.
Thanks much!

Underneath that black gloop there is a well-worn set of grips. I am curious as to how much you expect to get for them.

Jim

Dunno. But they'll be for sale on Ebay, beginning tonight, for a week. Probably start them at $20 and see if they go up from there. That's the beauty of a free market. We'll see what it'll bear.

Back