Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR549

Inactive
Is it possible to convert a 45acp 1911 style pistol to 9mm by replacing barrel, recoil assembly, magazine?

No. The breechface of the .45 ACP slide is too wide for the base of the 9x19mm round. The extractor won't be able to grab the rim, nor will the ejector be the right length.

A .38 Super can be converted to 9x19mm, but a .45 ACP will need a new slide in addition to the other parts.

There's some gunsmithing involved, extractor, ejector, but it can be done. The real queation is,WHY?

Going from a major to a minor caliber is a step down,and a big'un. Unless there's a question of say, departmental policy, or amoo supply, there's no advantage and some disadvantages.

Or is it you want a lower priced practice ammo? Get one of the 22 kits then, an excellent accessory anyway.

If you must have a 1911 pistol in the medium cablier, go for a .38 Super. A few new ones by Colt are still floating around in stores, or your friendly FFL can order you one from Springfield. A few boutique manufacturers are still making the 1911 in .38 Super too. Current factory-loaded .38 Super ammo is about the same as +P 9mm.

If it is an ammo-cost factor, then get a .22 rimfire pistol that features the 1911-style grip. Ruger makes one.

The .38 Super is a handloader's round because handloading will give you more options in bullet selection and performance. If you are into handloading (or want to be), then the .38 Super is for you.

Cor-Bon's 38 Super ammo surpasses +P 9mm by a good bit.
115gr JHP 1450fps 537 ft/lbs
125gr JHP 1350fps 544 ft/lbs

about 80 ft/lbs more than C*B's 115 +P 9mm load.

I have a Springfield 9mm slide and a single stack Springfield frame. I really think the way to go is 9x23. I keep saying that I am going to put it together, but the years keep slipping by. I did pick up the required parts for the slide and frame a couple of months ago, so maybe in the new millinium (BG). Jim
PS: I feel that it is a waste to build a 9x19 on a 1911 platform when there are so many good 9x19 platforms with lighter weight and more capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back