Can the Stevens 200 be upgraded like any other Savage?

deermaster

Last question for tonight...:D The more I look at these affordable bolt guns and read reviews, I wonder why I have ever spent more on a rifle... These 300-400$ rifles look great. So anyway, if I had the money only to buy a Savage Stevens 200, but say in a year or so wanted to add an aftermarket barrel or trigger, can the Stevens 200 be upgraded? Can anything that works for a Savage be used on the Stevens?
And another Savage question, what is the difference between the 110, 112, and 116 actions? Are they interchangeable parts wise, or are they totally different?

Yes they can. I just took a Stevens 200 in .223 and made it into a 6X47(6mm-.222 Rem Mag) http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366791. Any aftermarket part that fits a Savage Model 10 or 110 will work on these rifles. Look here for ideas and vendors to get your upgrades http://savageshooters.com/index.php.

It all really depends on what you want to do with your rifle. However, I'd imagine you wouldn't need a new barrel for a hunting and casual target rifle. A new trigger, recoil lug, and metal trigger guard are good upgrades to begin with. Full length bedding of the stock will improve it but the best upgrade is a new rifle stock. Just realize there will not be any saving money vs buying a newer Savage with Accutrigger and stock by the time you get done doing all the upgrades.

Last edited:
Yes it can but they adjusted the design in 2008 (i think) so there are 'old' and 'new' version of the it around. They also changed the magazine design from memory which might effect stock decisions.
**edit**
Here's a site that shows a few differences in the newer version.Also has a few hints on upgrades for the Stevens.
http://www.303british.com/id62.html

Last edited:
As already answered, yes. As a matter of fact I prefer the Stevens 200 over the "standard" Savage 110 with accutrigger. At $100 less you can get an aftermarket trigger that will smoke the accutrigger and both guns will benifit from an upgraded stock. Also, the Stevens trigger is adjustable and not bad by a long shot. I will agree that the new mag seems hokey though. Prefer the old one on my long action Savage.

LK

Savage has an excellent reputation but the Stevens line seems to get less then stellar reviews in the gun forums. I don't own one but that's just and observation.

Stevens

I have a Stevens 200 in 7 mm rem mag. Not the best looking gun in the world but other then that very functional. It has a Barska 6 x 24 x 44mm scope and a Harris bipod. It shoots as good as any of my Savages. In fact it shoots 5/8 inch groups at 150 yds. with 150 gr. Wolf Gold line ammo. Don't think I could ask for much more. A great shooter and shoots it with cheap ammo.

i love savage and stevens rifles. i dont have much money to spend on my guns, but i love them. with these rifles, i can do all the work myself, and dont have to pay a smith to do it for me. i can change calibers with some basic and propreietary hand tools. almost every barrel manufacture makes aftermarket barrels for the savage rifle. all thats needed is a barrel, barrel wrench headspace gauge and your good to go. (replaceible bolt faces if your going changing from small, standard or magnum sized case heads) i think the bad rap these rifles get is from ther "ugly" stocks, but lets face it, wood is much more expensive. absolutly nothing wrong with these wonderful rifles.

as to the 110, 112, 114 and 116, these are designations for different length (and right and left handed) actions. its explained at the savage website.

Stevens 200 Upgrade

I have a Stevens 223 old style that i have upgraded. The first upgrade was to put in a Rifle Basix trigger adjusted down to 2lbs no Creep,take up, or over travel. Tan Web DuraMaxx Stock From Stockys. Groups improved drastically from 2 inches to MOA at 100. Still thinking about swapping barrels to one of the customs Douglas, Pac Nor, Lijia, Hart, Douglas etc... But the pricetag keeps going up. $250 for rifle $98 for Trigger $109 for stock + shipping Now have over $500 in Rifle.

I have a 200 in .308 and I love it. All I did was lighten up the trigger a bit. Of course this was my first bolt gun so I am biased I'll admit.

Get one!

Back