Can someone tell me about this gun? "Alfa Proj"

Pond James Pond

It's advertised as a .357 "Alfa Proj".

It looks to be 4", and 6-shot. The grips look to be aftermarket, but I have no idea.

As I understand it is Czech made which is no bad thing and the cylinder stop groove does sit over the weakest part of the chamber which is nice. It doesn't appear to have a full-length ejector but I might be wrong.

Beyond that can anyone add any info on if it's even any good?

ecd9f6f923aecb31474ff7897fdbde39.jpg

48480d7b9355b51c6036be63632ff472.jpg

Last edited:
It's advertised as a .357 "Alfa Proj".

It looks to be 4", and 6-shot. The grips look to be aftermarket, but I have no idea.

As I understand it is Czech made which is no bad thing and the cylinder stop groove does sit over the weakest part of the chamber which is nice. It doesn't appear to have a full-length ejector but I might be wrong.

Beyond that can anyone add any info on if it's even any good?

Nope.

They were imported to the US by Czechpoint for a while, and now Armscor (aka Rock Island Armory) is bringing them in. Haven't seen much by way of reviews of it as Alfa-Proj.

You might look for reviews on the Armscor version.

What little I see is positive.

Looks like the stop groove does NOT sit over the weakest part of the cylinder. :):):)
Sorry, but I'm not aware of this revolver, but it sure does look like a quality piece. I doubt Czech's hire homeless people to make their guns.

Supposed to be high quality. I’ve never handled one but i have a friend who has and he was impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a Rock Island/Alfa Proj .22 Magnum at the range where I shoot. I need to get over there and check it out. The owner (of the range) said it looks very nice.

technical point

stop groove does NOT sit over the weakest part

Small technical points of terminology
The "stop groove" is usually referred to as the "bolt slot"...

but more importantly where ever it is, it does not "sit over" the weakest part of the cylinder. The bolt stop notch is cut into the cylinder. It MAY be cut over the chamber, and that MAY make that spot the "weakest" spot if the cylinder wall becomes the thinnest spot due to the slot being cut there.

It may not make it the thinnest spot, you have to look at the cylinder to see. Sometimes the walls between the cylinders are the thinnest spot, sometimes not. All depends on how the gun was made.

Also be aware that having the stop slot cut over the chamber is not automatically a bad thing. Guns made like that are proof tested, and do handle the ammunition pressure they were intended to handle, just fine.

It is a "weak spot" but that is only a limitation if you are going to be pushing the gun significantly harder than it was made to be run.

Think of it this way, if you have a truck rated to carry a half ton, and you carry a half ton, its all good, but if you load that half ton truck with 2 tons you're going to have problems.

sorry I can't give you any information specific to the gun in question, its a new one to me.

Our experience in the shop is that anything made by the Czechs is really good quality.
In contrast, anything made by the Turks make a good doorstop.

I see kind of a Charter Arms personality in that gun.

Not bad. Not great. Likely a decent revolver. I’ve never had a chance to play with one.

Buy it and we will live vicariously through you!!

In contrast, anything made by the Turks make a good doorstop.

I dunno, I’ve never owned a canik, Tristar, or the EAA SAR but I’ve shot a tristar and it was awesome. Heard a lot of good from the CANIKs and SARs too.

This is the revolver forum, and I admit I would be quite hesitant to own a Turkish revolver if there is such a creature.

I've been interested in these since Czechpoint started importing themmmm
But wasn't able to get my hands on one for several years

I recently had the opportunity to fire a 6" .22 LR Alfa Proj revolver,,,
It went bang every time I pulled the trigger,,,
And put the bullets into an actual group.

It's nothing special that you want to write home to Mom about,,,
But in the 18 rounds I fired it seemed like a solid gun.

The action was tight but not gritty at all,,,
About what you would expect from any new revolver,,,
I suspect that after a few hundred rounds it will smooth out quite a bit.

Fit and finish is about what you see in modern firearms,,,
Adequate but nothing like the old S&W's or Colts.

If I wasn't done buying guns,,,
I would be looking for one to pair with a rifle I own.

Hope this helps.

Aarond

Back