Can someone explain why I do this?

Pthfndr

Two guns, Sig P220/.45, Berette 92fs. Same thing happens using either gun. When shooting slow fire, nice controlled breathing, smooth clean trigger pull, I tend to shoot left two to four inches of point of aim. Group size is ok. 2-3 at 7 yards, 4-5 at 15 yards, and 6" at 25 yards. Shooting with both hands (right hand strong). Both eyes open. Start shooting cocked in SA mode. But, if I just snap off, say, ten rounds rapid, group sizes get smaller and dead center for where I aim. As far as I can tell I'm getting the same site sight picture and still breathing when shooting rapid. This is more disconcerting than anything, but I would like to correct it. Tried squeezing less with my left hand and more. Doesn't seem to make a difference. FWIW, I do the same thing with a rifle, even when I use a scope. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I heard if you shoot right handed, and pull instead of squeeze the trigger the gun will move down and/or to the left. I did this test too the first time i shot a gun and i didnt understand why my dad said that. Now i know!

Yep. Happens to me all the time. Accept that you can't hold the gun 100% steady no matter how hard you try. Make the movement work for you instead of against you. Use the front sight to scribe a small circle around the outside of the target, stop at the 6 o'clock position of the target, and move the front sight straight up, fire and concentrate on firing just as the front sight starts it's upward move. Essentially when you shoot fast, you are doing the same thing, you just don't think about it. Can't help with the scope part though, this technique only makes it worse for me there. It also helps a lot if you shoot with a rythym, It's stupid, but when I start to shoot bad I go to this:
One Potato(shoot)
Two Potato (shoot)
Three Potato(shoot)
Four-breath-(shoot)
Five potato- (shoot)
Six potato-(shoot)
Ain't-no-more-(Reload)
Just don't say it out loud, even with ear protection people look at you strange. ;)

Could be an Eye Dominance issue.
To solve this you need to contact your Doctor... Your Shooting Doctor. Find an NRA Pistol Coach and have him look at your shooting for a proper diagnosis.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

When shooting fast you probably have a very
tight grip with both hands. Sounds like when
you shoot slow you relax your grip and don't
put enough of your left hand into it. One of
the keys to look for is how much bend you put into your elbow. ( assuming you use an isoscles(sp?) stance ) try to lock out your arms and keep the weight of your body on your front toes.

A possibly related point:

When shooting under stress, one seems to do better because one focuses more on the basics. If you tighten your muscles to the point of pronounced trembling, performance will likely improve. Seems contrary to common sense, but then common sense is usually wrong.

Are you mashing the trigger straight to the rear? Some folks apply side pressure and that could cause the problem you describe, especially those folks used to lots of DA revolver work. When you do the fast stuff you may switch pressures.

Use the very tip of your forefinger, bring it straight back and see if that fixes the problem.

When I was a F.I. Inst. for the dep`t (revolver) if a right handed shooter grouped to the right, many times it was too much trigger finger. Grouping to the left, too little trigger finger.

Thanks to all who responded. Between the advice given here and talking with an instructor at the range I frequent, the problem has been solved! Seems when I slow fire I stop focusing on the front site and my eyes (right eye to be exact) wanders to the target. 1500 rounds later I feel much better. Strong hand or weak, one hand or two, slow or rapid, I can know put 90 out of 100 rounds in side the 10 ring from 7yards out to 25 yards with my Beretta. Almost as good with the Sig. Beginners are even starting to ask me for advice!

I agree with George. My friend did the same thing. He found out that he was left eye dominant. See your ophthalmologist. :D

I've heard the following dictum: grouping right, too much finger on the trigger (pulls muzzle to the right); grouping left, too little finger on the trigger (pushes muzzle to the left.) The pad of the finger should be positioned so that when the finger is moved rearward, it does so in a completely straight line. This applies to slow, controlled fire. As previously stated, in rapid fire mode, one tends to concentrate on the basics; slow fire leaves "too much time to think."

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

You're far from alone. I can rapid fire DA/SA without a single problem. When I slow fire my first DA shot is always a flyer.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Back