Can Remington M7 use an M700 barrel?

BluRidgDav

I have a Remington M7 SS in .260 Rem caliber that I bought for my wife about 20 years ago. Despite trying every different factory ammo loading that I could find, it's never been a real tack-driver (3 MOA), unlike my M700 in .30-06 (sub-MOA). Besides, the .260 caliber never really caught on, like I and the gun-scribes thought it would, and finding ammo has become a PITA, especially up here in AK. (I do not hand-load.) So, I want to re-barrel it to .308 Win, which is available everywhere, and in any loading from reduced-recoil to super-premium.

But, I'm having trouble locating a replacement barrel for an M7 at a reasonable price. I don't want to spend more for a replacement barrel for my M7, than a whole Ruger American rifle in .308 costs brand new. I found a reasonably good deal ($70) on a factory take-off barrel from a M700 in a sporter profile. Will that work?

Thanx, Dave.

Yes, you can install a Rem. 700 barrel on a Model 7 action. The threads, barrel shank, recoil lug, etc. are all the same. Obviously, as the barrel contour would be different, the Model 7 stock would have to have it's barrel channel modified.....or the re-barreled model 7 would need a Rem. 700 short-action stock.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt if a 700 SA stock will work without major modifications. The model 7 has a shorter action than the 700 SA.

Back