Can reloading software do this....

dyl

Hey all, I'm wondering if Quickload or something like it can help me fill in pressure data given the other parameters.

For example, I've been using a likely Spanish shotgun powder (ETR7) for pistol. If I give it bullet weight, chrono readings, reloading parameters like OAL and charge weight, would these programs be able to give me pressures or establish a curve so I can project safe max and min loads?

Last edited:
Kind of. It’s simulated pressure in QuickLoad. But yes, it will help you get an IDEA of mins and maxes. What I love about QuickLoad is it gives you percentage burn numbers too for your powder. It will give you a pressure curve, but I take that curve the same as “my buddies cousins friend says he shoots x bullet with x powder and is ok.” Ok maybe I trust it more than that, but it’s not actual numbers. But close. I wouldn’t use it to find a max then just load it. Still gotta start low.

If I’m looking for a certain velocity that’s under max for a powder though, I’ll load up what it said and test it. It’s usually pretty close. For rifle, you can “tune it” for your lot powder by adjusting things to get it closer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are unsure of what your powder is (Spanish shotgun powder probably won’t be in the powder database), QL or any other reloading software won’t help much in predicting pressure. Do you know more about that powder?

If you are unsure of what your powder is (Spanish shotgun powder probably won’t be in the powder database), QL or any other reloading software won’t help much in predicting pressure. Do you know more about that powder?

Excels point. QuickLoad has a large database, but far from complete,for a few reasons. They might not have your particular powder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you know more about that powder?

So it's called "ETR7" which stood for Environment: Target Rich, which was sold by a small company called Expansion Industries out of Lynchburg, VA for a couple years. They were a startup reloading company but moved after they messed up and couldn't deliver their reloads to people, too backlogged. I think they shut down and moved to Texas, changed their name.

It was advertised as being "like Titegroup" but it's a large round flake that is actually a bit milder than Titegroup. I've used middle of the road Titegroup loads and it'll feed unreliably. I think the Titegroup advice was so reloaders started with something that was safe and not get themselves killed, not necessarily like Titegroup for exact performance.

Sometimes the large flake doesn't drop consistently, and on a Lee auto-disk, when it messes up it's in the form of a light charge, something like 1/2 the intended volume. Now I'm using a Dillon 650 with the Dillon powder measure (slider bar design) and you bet I like to use the powder check die. It meters a little better, just sometimes low by 0.3 grains or so.

It's a bit gassier than Titegroup, I believe. I've loaded up some 147 grain subsonics suppressed, and while people love Titegroup for that, with ETR7 it's still a bit on the loud side with this stuff. Much louder than Remington factory 147 grain subsonics. Just wish I knew what they used.

Anyhow, wondering if I can save myself some trouble. I suspect that after I use this powder up I won't be able to get anymore so the only reason I think it might be worth it.... is because I have something like 6 pounds of this stuff. At least it was cheap and I can shoot guilt free.

Yeah it will not be in any software load data. What you’re describing with 147s suppressed still being significantly louder sounds like a significantly slower burning powder than tightgroup. I think.

ETR-7 is the same as MAXAM CSB-1.
It is in the QuckLoad database.

Yes, you could approximate the chamber pressure, as long as you use good data.

QL is a prime example of the old adage, "Garbage in, garbage out."

Right. The program requires that the software developer has tested the powder in a closed vivacity bomb to learn its pressure-creating characteristics and burn rate. If the powder matches MAXAM CSB 1, then you are good to go with QL or with the free Gordon's Reloading Tools has the MAXAM powders, too. However, post #9 in this thread on the Brian Enos forum by a fellow who visited the plant and asked questions suggests it is not CSB-1. Perhaps, as with Tightgroup, it is merely similar. I don't know. So just be careful with the load workup.

Large flakes like Unique and some others tend to bridge above the metering cavity of conventional measures. You can try tapping the measure or vibrating it with a fish tank aerator pump or similar gadget to break the bridges and flow powder into the cavity. Just be aware that also settles them, so you probably will have to move to a smaller charge setting to get the charge weight you want. Otherwise, you need to use a measure with a fairly wide metering cavity mouth, like a Uniflow with the rifle metering cavity in place.

Back