Can I use this in CMP? If not where?

mooney

Inactive
This is my first post so go easy please...

Great forum!!! Looking forward to getting active here very soon.

I have a new Springfield Armory Trophy Match 1911-A1 and I was hoping I could use it in CMP pistol competition. I've never been to a CMP match before or any pistol competition, but I'd like to get better at shooting this accurately. My club has a CMP group and a Bullseye group so I was hoping I could use this for both or just CMP until I get a .22 for Bullseye. I can't make heads or tails of the CMP pistol rules in the rule book in any definate manner so could someone who competes tell me if I can use this or does it have something that is not allowed in CMP and then also Bullseye? Is it a decent shooter out of the box and/or will I need to take it to a gunsmith after I get to a certain level with the out of the box condition? I see some negative comments about stainless steel and gunsmithing, so am I out of luck, long term competition wise, since this is a stainless steel pistol?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, and hope to to eventually be very active here,

Mooney
(south central area of PA)

Maybe not :-(

Thank you,

Looking at your linked rules from 2004 and again at the rule book over at CMP again, I may not be able to use it if I'm reading this right:

SA Trophy Match has:
"2 Piece Full Length Guide Rod"

and CMP rules say:
"Full Length recoil guide NOT LEGAL"

AND

SA Trophy Match has:
"Magazines: 2 - 7 Round, Stainless Steel with slam pad"

and CMP rules say:
"Magazine base pads NOT LEGAL"

So if I'm correct I'm out of luck competing in CMP :-( right?

I guess I may be limited to only Bullseye until I get another gun, and I still have to get a .22 to play Bullseye right, or can I compete in just "45 & CF protion of the 2700 Bulleye match"?

Your Trophy Match is not legal for CMP EIC matches because it also has a beavertail grip safety and Commander type hammer.

You can use your pistol for both the Centerfire and .45 matches in an NRA 2700 as long as the trigger pull is at least three and a half pounds. Trigger pull on a CMP .45 has to be at least 4 pounds.

Last edited:
What's the current ruling on forward slide serrations? - IIRC these weren't allowed either, but I think that I remember that this rule was being reconsidered.

Any of the other features could be changed w/o a lot of difficulty.

So if I'm correct I'm out of luck competing in CMP :-( right?
Magazines and guide rods can be easily replaced. If you can't figure out how to replace an 8 round magazine with a 7 round magazine...

What's the current ruling on forward slide serrations? - IIRC these weren't allowed either, but I think that I remember that this rule was being reconsidered.

Forward slide serrations are now legal, but all it's done is cause the confusion that Mooney is having with his Trophy Match. We've had several guys show up at EIC matches with a pistol with front slide serrations (FSS), thinking that their pistol is legal. Unfortunately, most of the pistols with FSSs also have a beavertail grip safey and Commander (skeleton) hammer which still makes them illegal. I've lent my Hardball out a lot lately so guys could still shoot the match.

And looking at those pistols, it's pretty hard to put a regular grip safety on them because of the way the receiver is cut for the beavertail safety. The end profile also has to match a regular 1911 and some have a bobbed receiver (where the grip safety is) and that makes them illegal as well.

The best bet for a legal CMP gun still, is to buy a SA 1911A1 or similar pistol and have it gunsmithed to meet CMP rules.

"If you can't figure out how to replace an 8 round magazine with a 7 round magazine..."

I'm more concerned with the not so obvious changeable parts, I can swap out the magazine easily enough.

This is a really beautiful gun and I hate to sell it/trade it. Heck, my Dad who has shot many 1911s wants one as well, and I'm trying to find him one now. I may just stick to non-CMP pistol matches and plan on only Rifle CMP competition.

Thanks for all the help.

Mooney in PA

I'm more concerned with the not so obvious changeable parts, I can swap out the magazine easily enough.
You mentioned the magazine and the guide rod. Both are removed when field stripping the gun, and thus are easily replaceable. So I am confused as to why you would be concerned about either.

Things like the grip safety require fitting and can't just be swapped out.

Back