Can I use Choke with ah slug?

boxjeff

I just purchased a H&R Excell Auto 12 and I would like to you slugs with this 28" shotgun. It comes with 4 chokes Full, IM, M, IC, C. Can I use a slug with any of these?

Before anyone tells you to 'read the manual' I took a look at the online manual and it says:

'It will function with factory-loaded ammunition of any shot size, as well as rifled slugs.'

I didn't find any reference as to what choke tube to use in the manual for slugs.

Good luck.

H&R Manuals
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/manuals.asp

P.S. This might go better in the shotgun section.

I did read the manual and called the company too. The rep on the phone did not seem to know nor did the manual have an answer. Additionally, the manual states not to use steal shot, but the web site says I can...So I turned to the forum for an answer.

Bear in mind there are two types of slugs. IIRC what someone said, the lands and grooves of rifled slugs are designed to squeeze through the choke of a smooth barrel and not so much to spiral the slug. I don't know about sabots designed for rifled barrels.

My Benelli M1 shoots slugs most accurately with the Mod tube installed. I would not want to shoot slugs thru anything tighter. So, cyl, IC or Mod would be your choices.

Pick the one that shoots the best groups and then pattern it with Buck and see what youve got

I would use the choke that shoots the smallest group (3 shots). See below for more advice...

Back