Can I shoot without lube?

BigBang

Mostly from what I can tell, people lube the front of their revolver chambers (specifically, 1858) to prevent chainfires. I'm not really worried about that from the front as long as I have a tight ball in there. Is it ok to shoot the gun without lube? I know it helps with cleaning a little, but say, I wanted to shoot just one cylinder in a day?

For the most part, you would be fine with no lube infront of the chambers & even no wad especially if you had a good tight fitting ball, even with a few cylinder loads but what the lube helps the most in is ofcorse more shots & easier cleaning.

I've done this very thing before in some action shooting where I would empty my 1851 Navy & simply reload & go again.

Have fun & be safe.. :)

I took My pair of 58's to the range today. The lube does get messy.
To answer your question yes you can shoot one cyclinder a day with no problems. You could also pick-up some pre-lubed wads and don't worry about lube again.

Yeah...I'll have to get around to buying some wads sometime. My gun has chamfered chamber mouths, so the balls fit really really tight. (doesn't shave any lead)

Back