Can I Shoot Slugs Through This??

Hi all,

I have a KBI "Liberty" Shoatgun, which is a double barrel 12ga with external hammers. I bought it originally for SASS shooting, but I am hoping to use it for some more versatile functions. Therefore I have some questions.

1. The barrels are Cylinder and Improved Cylinder (I think). Is there a way to have chokes installed on this gun, or would that require thicker barrels, etc?

2. Is it safe to shoot slugs through this gun? It is rated for 2 3/4" shells. Would it damage the gun?

Thanks for the help,

SFB

Open choked shotguns usually can fire slugs w/o harm, but....

Many European guns are marked,"Non pour le Balle" or something similiar. It means, no solid ball ammo. I'd want a good gunsmith to look the piece over before I tried slugs in it, especially since good slug guns are neither rare nor expensive,while your health is important.

And your bbls should have enough metal to enable tubes to be installed, for a price that would rival a new gun of this quality.And, if you decide to sell or trade this one later on, it's highly doubtful you could get back nearly what you invested.

Unless you're really fond of this particular shotgun, I suggest leaving it alone and getting other shotguns for other purposes.It's probably quite delightful as a CASS gun, and maybe a decent quail gun also.

SanFran: If you have one of the new Liberty's from KBI it's one BEAUTIFUL piece. There's a writeup in GUN BUYERS ANNUAL 2001. If it's a Liberty Coach Gun the article said the barrels are cylinder bore and no add-on chokes are offered. Along with Cowboy loads they tested some Reduced Recoil 00 buck. They liked the gun thats for sure. Best, J. Parker

SF Bill asked:

1. The barrels are Cylinder and Improved Cylinder (I think). Is there a way to have chokes installed on this gun, or would that require thicker barrels, etc?

No, these barrels have not been designed with an interchangeable choke system.

2. Is it safe to shoot slugs through this gun? It is rated for 2 3/4" shells. Would it damage the gun?

Yes it is safe to shoot slugs with this barrel. Most choked shotguns perform best with slugs using an open choke like the IC. It will not damage the gun unless you use the wrong gauge shells!

Back