Can I shoot conical bullets in my Colt copy?

Heliarc

Inactive
Hi guys, my first post here.

I have a Llipieta copy of a Colt 1851 navy.I think that's what it is anyhow.Octagonal barrel, 7 and 3 eigths inch from the front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel.Brass frame.It shoots .351 balls and uses #11 caps.3F powder,Single action of course.I love it.Just figured I should describe it the best I can...might help.

What I'd like to know and haven't really found much of an answer is...Can I shoot conical bullets with this pistol?I can easily make a new ram(A ram right?)for the loading lever to fit the nose of the bullet but would it be any more accurate?And mainly, would it be safe?

Sorry if someone posted about this before but I've looked and haven't seen it.

Thanks for reading and I love the site.

.351 roundballs are way undersized for a .36 Colt Navy (Pietta). You should be using .375 - .380. As far as conicals, I've never used them but the gun can shoot them without modifying the loading lever rammer. Truthfully, I don't know what size you'd use. I hear they're more accurate but from what I've read, the Old Timers liked the roundballs' stopping power better. Great gun, hey? (no, I'm not Canadian haha)

No big problem, just make sure to grease the top of the chamber. In the original period, the problem with the picket balls is that these were somewhat slower to load. Even with a nitrated paper cartridge, because the loader had to take some care in ensuring the ball sat directly under the rammer. Otherwise, could still be loaded, but the slight canting of the ball, in the cylinder compromised accuracy. That said, the military tended to prefer the picket ball because of its greater potential range. Round balls shed the velocity much quicker. On modern conical bullets (not sure if anyone's making a repro of a period mold) make sure the lead's very soft. Because the bearing area on some conicals would be less than a round ball...don't want any gaps due to the lead being too hard when being loaded

Back